Broadcasting with 50,000 Watts of pure power! C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by LCARSx32, Jul 23, 2010.

1. LCARSx32

LCARSx32 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok... So I don't know how much power they really use... Anyway:

#1 Broadcast
    [​IMG]

#2 The ubiquitous moon shot
    [​IMG]

I took the moon shot with the lens off of my camera and the back viewfinder off of the telescope. In hind sight, that was probably a bad idea. But it worked! I wish my 300mm Sigma was as sharp as this :( And I had to focus by moving the camera forward or backward! Sad.

Comments, please. Thanks!

2. BekahAura

BekahAura TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    #1 is awesome. Nice composition!

In #2, you missed focus on this, despite all the moving of the camera on your telescope lol. That, and the sky seems pretty grainy. I know the moon can look much sharper than that. It looks underexposed too. Try it again.

3. LCARSx32

LCARSx32 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, I will. I'm going to try to mount it somehow so I can make use of the telescope's focus mechanism. I'm going to put something (plastic bag, maybe?) around the camera's lens opening when I do it next time, though. That was a tense few minutes. Hopefully nothing got inside it.

I really enjoy the industrial look, so #1 was a lot of fun for me. Radio towers are one of the few things this area has in abundance. Other than cows and corn, that is.

4. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    50k might be right. Typically in rural areas local radio stations have very high power antennas as the population is not at all localized, and there's less risk of interfering with other stations that might be using the same or close freqs.

Did you clone out the wires? I've never seen a radio tower without wires holding it up.

5. MohaimenK

MohaimenK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice shots! Full moon out tomorrow night! Hope you get some cool shots!

6. LCARSx32

LCARSx32 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nope. No wires. They're massive, though. It's hard to tell from the picture, but if you look on the closer one, you can see how small the service ladder is compared to the rest of it. The main support structure is probably 4 or 5 feet in diameter. Most of the other towers in the area are just as tall, but have narrower bases and support wires, like you've seen.

Me too! I'm going to try to kludge something together so the camera can be focused better, lol. I just hope the skies stay as clear as they are now. In the winter, we get some amazing night skies. In the summer, we get amazing night overcast :meh: Wish me luck!