Brody - 6 months and sitting up!

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by acaldwell, Oct 2, 2007.

1. acaldwell

acaldwell TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This is my nephew. I was hanging out with him on sunday and we played around with some shots in his nursery. I did this with just the window light. Please give me your c&c. :blushing:

[​IMG]

2. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    He's cute:) But, I think you got the wall behind him focus instead of him.
    (Happens to me all the time!)

3. acaldwell

acaldwell TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here's a couple more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not bad, but I have a few crits.

I will have to say that the texture on the wall is distracting. The focus is really clear on the bench as well as the wall behind him. There is also some blowout on the white shirt in #1 and #3. Also, the color is a little mutated on #3. Was that from white balance adjustment or for an effect?

On the plus side, the subject is very cute. The expression is good in #1, and he is looking right at the camera! :) If only we could see the crisp clear eyes. I think a tighter crop would have been more beneficial here.

Keep posting! :)

NJ

5. acaldwell

acaldwell TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thank you April and NJ! yes, i thought the eyes were suffering some. i mentioned that in another post this moring. *sigh* working hard on that. of course, NJ you are one of my inspirations with all things eyes. :)

NJ, ok, i'll keep the texture on the wall in mind in the future. we'll have to try a different home as all their walls are like this, hmmm.
    #3 was just me playing with sepia and obviously getting it wrong! i will reverse that one back to original.

And lastly, I agree the subject is cute. thanks for the critiques on my first indoor go at a baby!

6. Taralyn Romero

Taralyn Romero TPF Noob!

Really love your composition on these and the simplicity of the shots -however, I would agree that the focus on the baby seems off in all of them. Still precious.

7. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

VERY good use of available light! And, what a cutie! Yeah... the focus problem, but still.... very nice. Just don't print too large.

-Pete

8. acaldwell

acaldwell TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Taralyn and Pete - thank you for the comments. I really appreciate the encouragement! Mom just wants some 4X6's for a new frame so hopefully that will be ok.

I'm reading my manual again trying to figure out my focus issue with these. I might get my eyes tested as well as I notice blurry signs while driving and I am squinting an awful lot looking at computer screens and books. Last appt. I was told I had a slight astigmatism, maybe it got worse :(

9. wildmaven

wildmaven TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like #3 the best. Such "natural child" curiousity. :) How is your focus set? Are you using manual, continuous, or another setting?

10. stellar_gal

stellar_gal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you have a great subject there and he is so adorable. I photograph alot of babies and kids and here's what I suggest. First, get him as naked as the parents are comforatble with. Clothes are so binding and get bunched up, as you can see. Even just a diaper or diaper cover and blanket at most. The look is timeless and great in black and white or color too. If you look at professional sites, you'll see most babies in the birthday suit. Look at Images of Grace Photography there in Ft Worth. Very inspiring stuff.

Also, at that age, keep on snapping. Once they can sit up - the images can get harder since they are so curious and they rarely look at the lens without help from someone behind you and once they start crawling- it just gets worse, haha.

As far as the wall, you can easily work with it. Just pull the bench away from the all a couple of feet or more to throw it out of focus with the right f/stop- or put the baby on a nice looking floor. You may need a helper if you have them off the floor though, so baby can be caught if they try to fall.

As far as the focus, your manual can be very helpful. I am not familiar with an Xti, but you may have different focusing options, like One Shot or Ai Servo, ect. I find with babies/kids that move alot- shoot in burst/ continuous mode so you can get several frames per second- especially great when they laugh, giggle or give you that nice gaze.

Always Always focus on the eyes, then you can recompose the camera some if its in single shot mode- other wise it will focus on something else when you hit the shutter button. You may have a dioptric dial near the eye piece that can help with poor vision. Otherwise, pratice shooting an object that isnt moving and see if its really your sight, or camera shake from not holding steady enough. Just keep practicing- you're doing good.

11. wildmaven

wildmaven TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Very helpful to me, too! Thanks! What kind of lighting do you use?

12. stellar_gal

stellar_gal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am 100% all natural. Yes, challenging at times, but it's my niche. Fancy lighting can be very intimidating for many youngsters and I took a studio lighting class in college and it definatley wasn't my calling, so I work with available light, no backdrops or props. I have used black velvet with babies or rug-looking fabic, but that's it. For outdoors, I just love the pre-sunset glow and it's so flattering in photos. I try to book an hour before sunset or so. Very worth while if you ask me. It does take practice, but I love it.