Brody - 6 months and sitting up!

I photograph a lot of children too and even though it takes a LOT of practice I do most of my childrens portraiture on one shot AF, simply so that I know, once I have focused on the eyes and then recompose,( unless I have camera shake from 'chasing bub') that my shot is safe and will be crisp and clear. You just need to be really comfortable with your camera, and your method of shooting and then learn to always think one step ahead of bub,(and shoot real FAST!!!!) Once you have been shooting children for a while you will realise that although they are all little individuals,they still do similiar things at similiar ages and with experience you can learn to "2nd guess" them most of the time. However, nothing is ever always sweet sailing, you will still get plenty of throw away shots, but the ones that work should be GORGEOUS. keep practicing. Jodie xxx

thanks nurd and bounce. i really appreciate the encouragement and advice. i will keep practicing with little ones... especially this one. :)

I won't mention what has already been said but I like the comp on these, good work. Keep working on the other stuff, good eye.

thanks heip, i will keep working! i make mistakes, but i'm having fun still!

NJ - i don't believe you take bad pics... i thought everything you did was perfect! hehehe. i'll have to see those ones to believe.

I only briefly read through the other posts here, so I may have missed this, but are you using the multipoint focus function, or are you selecting which focus point gets used manually?

It kind of looks like the camera is grabbing what ever strong contrast it sees and uses that. I avoid that by selecting only the focus point directly over the subject's eyes.

I'll echo what the others have said, great composition and lighting. That's the hard stuff, figure out the focus and you'll be golden!

Most reactions

Back