Broken camera?

lipless

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I'm pretty new to this whole photography thing. My dad bought a Yashica FX-3 Super back in the 80's and when I was about 3, I started to play with it and the film advance lever broke off. For years, my dad said the camera still works, it just needs to be fixed but my mom thinks it's not fixable. It's been collecting dust in the basement for some time now and I was wondering if it was possible to get it fixed without insane prices. Also, my dad tried to super glue it back on. Would that affect the camera in any way?

YASFX3s1.jpg

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I really don't know anything about cameras.

Thanks in advance.

For the price of getting this one repaired, you could go to your local pawn shop and find a viable substitute. There and antique shops are the best place, IMO, to get older manual focus set ups.

As for the superglue...never caused me any problems with anything I've broken. ;)

It's not a stupid question. That's why most of us joined this forum anyway. :D

Try the super glue. I've used it with many camera repairs. Just remember that a little goes a long way. Don't get it into any moving parts.

With almost all Yashica 35mm SLRs it would be cheaper to buy a used one that's in good condition; they're going for about $15 on Ebay, and I imagine a repair charge would be $75+. You could even see if you could find one with no lens or a different lens, and keep the 50mm lens you have.

check out this stuff that I think is called epoxy weld. You can get it at the hardware store. I used it to fix my broken turn signal control so it's really strong. It's like a pudy and you squish it in your hand and it gets pliable then really hard so you have a few minutes to get it to the shape that you want. If you sanded down the places that you want to get a bond, I think that it might just do the trick, just be really sure that once it is on and hard that your going to be able to get the movement that you need the advance arm to do to work.
Hope that made sense and is somewhat helpful.

I used "J Weld" sometimes on hard to bond surfaces, it's been known to bond metal to metal. Be careful to not let any touch other surfaces though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back