Broken Nikon D90 Lens Mount

Wow. That really sucks. I know that Nikon is stingy as hell in replacing anything at all that has even a 1% chance of user fault. Our student paper bought a D90, and part of the mount got ****ed up, and the lens was not coming off the camera body. Finally got the lens off, and low and behold, the entire mount had been displaced. Was absolutely not dropped or anything, and was babied. Sent it to Nikon, nope, you broke it, you pay to have it fixed. Luckily the store we bought it from fixed it for us as a positive gesture towards us, but it sucked.

That being said, my D90 has held up very well shooting with that same lens, and I dispute the fact that entry level bodies can't hold up to big lenses. I spent an entire weekend with my D40 with the 70-200 f2.8 attached, no problems at all.
You don't mention how part of the mount got ***ed up in the first place. Was it a lens with a plastic mount flang?

Tell us the rest of the story.

It also sounds like you forced off the lens? :scratch:

It was an 80-200mm f2.8, so no, definitely not a lens with a plastic mount flange.

To be honest, it was someone else who put the lens on there, so that part, I don't know, but from what she told us, it went on like it normally does, went to take it off, and it was really stuck on there. I managed to get if off, as it had a little bit of play I just kept it going until it came off. But the problem was at the base of the camera where the mount meets the rest of the body, it was now completely mis-aligned.

It sounds to me like you forced it off, but can't bring yourself to say so.

The warranty then didn't apply and Nikon had every right to charge for the repair.

IMO, you're very fortunate the camera store covered your ****up.

Most reactions

Back