Broken SB600, diagnosis?

MOREGONE

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

At the last wedding I shot, I started having some intermittent flash issues. Even though the batteries should have been fresh just chalked it up to a battery issue.

Later when looking into it I found it would power on but not pop. So I thought it was the bulb. Left the batteries in it and put it away. Came back the next day powered it up and a couple tests it went off a few times (like every 3rd press and stopped after firing 3 times out of 10 test fires)

So I am thinking it is the capacitor that went bad? Does that right? Does anyone know if it is repairable? I got a replacement for it already so no issue there but it would be cool if I could resurrect it.

My guess would be a connection rather than the capacitor. When capacitor's fail, they generally fail. Full stop. Trouble-shooting intermittent electrical problems, especially in IC/digital devices can be very tricky.

My guess would be a connection rather than the capacitor. When capacitor's fail, they generally fail. Full stop. Trouble-shooting intermittent electrical problems, especially in IC/digital devices can be very tricky.

Yeah one of the things I read is that the capacitor makes a popping noise. I heard nothing of the sort. I was wondering if it may have overheated. It was a Phoenix afternoon over 100 degrees when it happened. But it was just taken out of the bag

Are the battery contacts in the battery compartment of the flash unit corroded?

Nothing I can see. It is used routinely and the batteries that came out were fine and still in use (rechargeables)

Thanks for the replies.

I may crack it open and see if I can notice anything with a visual inspection.

Most reactions

Back