Broken SB600

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Sherman Banks, May 21, 2009.

1. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I dropped my SB600 this evening, from a distance of about 1 foot and now it won't fire. Nikon isn't going to cover it, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had the bulb replaced and how much it cost them. From what I've read, it is probably going to cost near the amount of the flash for the repair. Pretty weak flash considering I was shooting with a guy whose SB 80 fell at least 6 feet from a light stand and still fired up fine.

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

Well if its actually broken for sure. Why not carefully take apart the flash and see if its a user replaceable tube (something you can change)? If it is, just order the tube from Nikon parts. If a repair is as much as a new flash, there will be nothing lost by taking the flash apart to check, other than your time. And if its something you feel comfortable that you can change. You will be saving your self quite a bit of money as there will be no labor charge involved in the repair.

3. Pure

Pure TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The flash tube is part:

FSA03601-XE701

You can buy the Xenon tubes on ebay, or from Nikon for about $15.

4. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

That's good to know, as I now own 3 of them. :thumbup:

5. Pure

Pure TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No problem. I did the replacement for my friend's SB-600, and it's somewhat difficult. You need to make sure you don't bend anything, or spill solder. If you don't have steady hands, don't try to do the replacement, haha.

6. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I'm not about to tear into it myself. My soldering skills are about as good as my quilting skills, and I don't make blankets. I'm going to try to find a place in my area before sending it in to Nikon. Thanks for the part number in case I actually need to order it.

7. adamwilliamking

adamwilliamking TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Be careful indeed, also use a cloth to make sure not to get any of your (our) humany oils on the bulb as it will burn off when you fire the flash and cause dirty black smoke. On a greater scale they can even explodddde. Fun.

8. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dropped one of my 600's and broke the circuit board in it, wouldn't even turn on. It cost $130 to fix, I almost wish I had just bought a new alight off craigslist, it would have cost the same and I would have gotten it back sooner.

9. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cheapest I've found in my area is $175 used. Hopefully the repair doesn't even cost near that but who knows. I may pick up another just to have, but the build quality of these is crap. I should've just bought an SB800 when I had the chance.

10. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OMG, that falls into the stupidly dangerous worst advice possible area!

Did you know that a capacitor can hold a charge for weeks and has EASILY enough voltage to kill a human being while at the same time tossing them a few feet in the other direction???

Send it out for a quote. If you can afford it, pay to fix it. If not, toss it... consider it a lesson learned.

11. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Jerry, I had no intention of opening that thing up myself as I've heard they could give quite the shock. It's going out today, hopefully won't be too much. In the meantime, I still have two 285's to work with but I just did the DIY beauty dish to fit my SB600 and now it's gonna have to sit a while.

12. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very true words. I took apart a $150 P&S and got a huge shock because I couldn't find the damn flash cap. And this is a P&S with a guide 7 flash, I'd hate to try and touch the terminals on a guide 46 one.

The stupid part is I actually needed the capacitor so I had all the knowledge and looking for the part I still got zapped.