Broken SB600

Sherman Banks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I dropped my SB600 this evening, from a distance of about 1 foot and now it won't fire. Nikon isn't going to cover it, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had the bulb replaced and how much it cost them. From what I've read, it is probably going to cost near the amount of the flash for the repair. Pretty weak flash considering I was shooting with a guy whose SB 80 fell at least 6 feet from a light stand and still fired up fine.

Well if its actually broken for sure. Why not carefully take apart the flash and see if its a user replaceable tube (something you can change)? If it is, just order the tube from Nikon parts. If a repair is as much as a new flash, there will be nothing lost by taking the flash apart to check, other than your time. And if its something you feel comfortable that you can change. You will be saving your self quite a bit of money as there will be no labor charge involved in the repair.

The flash tube is part:

FSA03601-XE701

You can buy the Xenon tubes on ebay, or from Nikon for about $15.

The flash tube is part:

FSA03601-XE701

You can buy the Xenon tubes on ebay, or from Nikon for about $15.

That's good to know, as I now own 3 of them. :thumbup:

No problem. I did the replacement for my friend's SB-600, and it's somewhat difficult. You need to make sure you don't bend anything, or spill solder. If you don't have steady hands, don't try to do the replacement, haha.

Yeah, I'm not about to tear into it myself. My soldering skills are about as good as my quilting skills, and I don't make blankets. I'm going to try to find a place in my area before sending it in to Nikon. Thanks for the part number in case I actually need to order it.

Be careful indeed, also use a cloth to make sure not to get any of your (our) humany oils on the bulb as it will burn off when you fire the flash and cause dirty black smoke. On a greater scale they can even explodddde. Fun.

I dropped one of my 600's and broke the circuit board in it, wouldn't even turn on. It cost $130 to fix, I almost wish I had just bought a new alight off craigslist, it would have cost the same and I would have gotten it back sooner.

I dropped one of my 600's and broke the circuit board in it, wouldn't even turn on. It cost $130 to fix, I almost wish I had just bought a new alight off craigslist, it would have cost the same and I would have gotten it back sooner.

Cheapest I've found in my area is $175 used. Hopefully the repair doesn't even cost near that but who knows. I may pick up another just to have, but the build quality of these is crap. I should've just bought an SB800 when I had the chance.

Well if its actually broken for sure. Why not carefully take apart the flash and see if its a user replaceable tube (something you can change)?

OMG, that falls into the stupidly dangerous worst advice possible area!

Did you know that a capacitor can hold a charge for weeks and has EASILY enough voltage to kill a human being while at the same time tossing them a few feet in the other direction???

Send it out for a quote. If you can afford it, pay to fix it. If not, toss it... consider it a lesson learned.

Thanks Jerry, I had no intention of opening that thing up myself as I've heard they could give quite the shock. It's going out today, hopefully won't be too much. In the meantime, I still have two 285's to work with but I just did the DIY beauty dish to fit my SB600 and now it's gonna have to sit a while.

Well if its actually broken for sure. Why not carefully take apart the flash and see if its a user replaceable tube (something you can change)?

Did you know that a capacitor can hold a charge for weeks and has EASILY enough voltage to kill a human being while at the same time tossing them a few feet in the other direction???

Send it out for a quote. If you can afford it, pay to fix it. If not, toss it... consider it a lesson learned.

Very true words. I took apart a $150 P&S and got a huge shock because I couldn't find the damn flash cap. And this is a P&S with a guide 7 flash, I'd hate to try and touch the terminals on a guide 46 one.

The stupid part is I actually needed the capacitor so I had all the knowledge and looking for the part I still got zapped.

:thumbup: +1,000,000,000

As Harry Calahan likes to say, "Dying ain't much of a living."

Got my estimate back on my SB600 repair. $120 with shipping. :( Damn flash has cost me $300 now! I could've gotten a used SB800 for that...

Anyways, Sb600 owners beware, don't drop your flash (duh).

Hmmm, I don't know what to say to that. I clearly said "CAREFULLY". I clearly put in parentsis "SOMETHING YOU CAN CHANGE", ie: in his comfort level!!!! Its obvious you can have it changed by Nikon. I never forced them too. Service manuals are available! Capacitors can be shunted to make sure they are discharged (a $2 resistor is the best way, although an insulated metal tool can do the trick, but could possibly damage ESD products). Monolights with even higher capacity have replaceable tubes and anyone can buy them! Should no one with monolights replace the tubes themselves? Yes, they are designed to be changed without major disasembly. But since you dont have the monolight open to verify the capacitor is discharged, better toss them out or send in for repair.:er:

I can list dozens if not hundreds of dangerous things people do around the house that is much more dangerous than working on a flash! And yet your going to put that high on your stupidly dangerous worst advice list??? :thumbdown:

There is a safe way to work on anything. From changing car oil to a vacuum cleaner belt. You can get hurt doing hundreds of normal things around the house! People know their limits, I never pushed beyond my initial suggestion. Obviously the OP didn't feel it was appropriate for him to do it. I didn't push it. I work on complex technical things all the time. I have my limits on what I will and wont do (including things around the house).

Some people send everything out for repair, or buy new. Some can't afford it, some like tinkering. Some will do simple repairs and send major stuff out. But a blanket statement that its stupidly dangerous worst advice is uncalled for!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back