Broken sensor (?) - Canon 450D

soulweeper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I'm really new at this, and don't know a lot about cameras. But I bought a Canon 450D for about a year ago. It worked fine, until this week. It doesn't recognize light, and even though I'm in a really light and white room, the camera think it's completely dark.
confused.gif
For a while it worked if I opened the blitz (I could see this at the live screen mode), but now that doesn't work either.
mad.gif

I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is? Is there anything I can do, or should I just send him to a "doctor"?
biggrin.gif

(Again; I'm really new at this. Be gentle if I ask at the worng place or something)

I'd suggest taking it into a camera store and asking them to have a look at it. Try it with a different lens, and try your lens with a different camera.

If you/they still can't figure it out, you may need to send it into a Canon Service centre.

Check to see if the contacts on the lens and camera are clean. Use a bit of rubbing alcohol on the contacts to make sure they are clean (use a lint free rag). Otherwise, take it to a camera store for them to look at it.

If your image sensor is toast it should give you an error code.

Just to make sure the bases are covered here: Did you check and make sure the lens cap has been removed from the front of the lens?

Next: Do you see an image in the viewfinder? If not, the mirror is stuck in the up position. If you can see through the viewfinder and with the camera in AUTO mode, the image is just total black, and you can't hear or feel a ca-thunk when you release the shutter, the mirror could be stuck down.

This is what I love about Canon over Nikon :)..... (though I do have some Nikon preferences, I just love to rant)
Canon has the ultimate service policy. You can send your sensor to them anytime and they'll clean it for free as well as take a few looks at your camera. Nikon charges you for this, but Nikon is also good about sensor replacements as well as Canon. Send it to a local Canon store (check online for them) and they'll do a check

Most reactions

New Topics

Back