Bromoil...attempt(s) #2

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I made a couple of matrixes for each negative I selected for my first attempts at this process. There are several different ways to approach it. The first one I did a few weeks ago, I used a lot of brush strokes underwater, which resulted in high contrast. On the images below, I tried to use less water to control the contrast better.

This one was done virtually all by brush strokes. It has a more Impressionistic, dreamy quality, I think.
Treebromoil-brushed.jpg

For this one, I tried a roller. It imparts a sharper, more photographic quality, with lots of detail.
Treebromoil-rolled.jpg

Which do you all like best? :) I'm interested in your feedback and comments, as always.

Thank you.... :D You prefer the detail, or just the overall look of #2?

Terri, that's so cool! I am not sure which one i prefer. I love the sky on the first, but the detail below on the second. So make me a third one please. :wink::mrgreen:

I LOVE the 1st one. You are totally my inspiration Terri. :lol:

I like the 1st one becuase it reminds me a bit of a Holga photograph. The dark edges make the photograph for me. Do you sell your work, Terri? Or is it just for yourself?

sillyphaunt said:
I LOVE the 1st one. You are totally my inspiration Terri. :lol:

I like the 1st one becuase it reminds me a bit of a Holga photograph. The dark edges make the photograph for me. Do you sell your work, Terri? Or is it just for yourself?
hee hee, I should have known a fellow Holga-user would pick up on that. I did that extra bit of inking quite deliberately. ;) Glad you like it!! Yes, I do sell my work, btw.

Wow hmmm....which do I prefer...

I think I'd have to go with the first one just due to the more surreal feel of it. The darkened edges definitely add to the appeal of it for me as well. Its tough to explain, but the first just seems to have a little more character to it and the second one is closer to being a regular photograph. Really like them both though!

Terri, Where do you sell your work? Online? I've been thinking about trying to sell some of my Holga stuff, but I don't know if there is a real market for it around here. I thought maybe about doing it online instead.

Kylie, I sell at art festivals, and have had a couple pieces in gallery exhibits (never sold there, tho). ;) I'll have my stuff on display online when I get my site up (some day soon I hope).

Art is always a tough sell. I don't do it for sales, per se, getting it out there while enjoying the fun of art festivals is more like a party, or celebration of my efforts for whatever I've been working on. Somehow it completes the cycle, if that makes sense. When it sells, I'm really happy for the validation. But I'd be doing it regardless. :)

Thanks, ferny!! :D

Seems to be a fairly even split on preference... I'm more of an Impressionist fan, so I like the brush-only style of the first. But the second was done in about half the time, so there will definitely be more of those, as well. :lol:

Thanks for commenting. :)

Ahh.. Art festival is a great idea! We have an arts and crafts fair here every year, all you have to do is pay $30 for a booth. Its not until August so I would have time to prepare.

I was also thinking about approaching a few of the local coffeehouses and seeing if they would let me put some of my photos up with my card and/or a price on it. I figure it would fit the decor of a coffeehouse the best, and if nothing else will be on display. Have you ever tried anything like that?

I think I'm going to have to buy some stuff. What you and Mindy do is great. I want to be able to hold it in my own hands. I just don't want to give out my address.

ferny said:
I think I'm going to have to buy some stuff. What you and Mindy do is great. I want to be able to hold it in my own hands. I just don't want to give out my address.
That would definitely interfere with us being able to send you anything. :mrgreen: You'll have to make do with admiring our stuff online. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back