Brooks Instuite in Santa Barbara

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by tylerbiss, Mar 28, 2005.

1. tylerbiss

tylerbiss TPF Noob!

I was wondering if anyone on this forum, has attened or is currenlty enrolled in the brooks instuite of photography. I am planning on attending next semester. I am very scared because i am making a huge decision to transfer here. I guess i just don't know what to expect. I am afraid that i will be over my head when entering my classes. I'm a self taught photographer and haven't had any schooling. I've heard Brooks is suppose to be the best but it is rather a far distance away from my home town of Kentucky. i guess i'm just looking for some advice or encouragement about the Institue.

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a buddy who started going there just last year. He had great interest, but not a lot of experience in photography, and I think he's doing fine. Studying photography in sunny, southern California sounds like a blast to me. On the other hand, I'm sure there are good photography courses closer to home too.

3. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I have no first-hand info, but have been told for decades that this is THE school. I remember hearing twenty yeas ago that a Brook's grad can work ANYWHERE... National Geographic, Kodak,... ANYWHERE.

Good luck! And, keep us informed.

4. Ihaveaquestion

Ihaveaquestion TPF Noob!

I was just looking at there site.

I was enterested because all the other photography schools are art schools who just happen to have a photography degree.

But brooks has like 7 different directions you can take with photography.
    Much better than just having a generalized photography degree I think.

I hope to be there in a couple years.

Good luck dude.

5. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've had the pleasure of working with 2 Brooks grads during a workshop with a pro last February. I don't know if they are typical Brooks grads but they were 2 of the most well educated (about photo stuff), helpful people I've ever met. If I could have gone there, I would have - no question!

6. Ihaveaquestion

Ihaveaquestion TPF Noob!

$24 thousand a year.

Awesome...

7. PreludeX

PreludeX TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i goto the art institute of seattle and i have an instructor that graduated from there... hes says they are trained to be the best but there are things that ive been taught that they dont teach... i saw both portfolios reviews from both school and i noticed that there were really similar in quality.. also if i remember.. brooks is a 3-4 year and while my school is only 2 year... ive also already networked with microsoft, qwest, and other smaller companies... so, i would also say look into the Ai's of the states... they have good programs as well..