Brugmansia Or Datura

Donde

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There are several interesting things about this small tree. First it is described as a cultivar, growing only in the presence of human settlement. One botanist says it has probably been so for ten thousand years growing in the presence of early Indian settlements in South America. Another interesting feature is that it gives off a powerful scent of perfumed soap but only from around 6pm until about six in the morning. In the day time there is no scent at all. Lastly it is supposed to be the source of the drug scopolamine and the Indians sometime add it to an ayajuasca (Banisteriopsis caapi) mix
to intensify the hallucinatory effect. It grows on my property and the scent fills the night air when it is flowering.

31292005972_1ac9bd97ed_b.jpg

Neat... I would have just gone with "pretty flower"... :lol:

You mean with out the information? Ok but I thought it might be of interest to some.

Neat... I would have just gone with "pretty flower"... :lol:

You mean with out the information? Ok but I thought it might be of interest to some.

About that information -- you need to double check it or maybe we have a variance in naming practice country to country; that's certainly a Brugmansia in your photo. Datura is a very different plant. They are both dangerously poisonous and are both members of the Solanaceae family.

Nice photo.

Joe

"Some South American plants formerly thought of as Datura are now treated as belonging to the distinct genus Brugmansia" from Wikipedia. Yes Datura is the old name which is why I used Brugmansia as the initial name in the title of the post.

There are several interesting things about this small tree. First it is described as a cultivar, growing only in the presence of human settlement. One botanist says it has probably been so for ten thousand years growing in the presence of early Indian settlements in South America. Another interesting feature is that it gives off a powerful scent of perfumed soap but only from around 6pm until about six in the morning. In the day time there is no scent at all. Lastly it is supposed to be the source of the drug scopolamine and the Indians sometime add it to an ayajuasca (Banisteriopsis caapi) mix
to intensify the hallucinatory effect. It grows on my property and the scent fills the night air when it is flowering.

31292005972_1ac9bd97ed_b.jpg
Nice, I have some images where I angled it up to see inside. They came out kind of bizzare but never posted them.

A quite common plant in the Gulf regions of USA. Quite a number of cultivars(colors). Bust off a branch, stick it in the ground and before you know it you have a small tree filled with foot long smelly blooms! ;)
upload_2016-12-6_2-45-18.jpeg

Last edited:
Actually I just stuck some sticks in the ground from a tree I found with pink flowers. So far they're doing well. Here the Brugmansia at higher elevations are almost always white. You have to be down lower for pink and other colors.

I have seen the whites of this poisonous flower as white as shown here but I have never theen the greens so green. I feel that, while the graphical composition is really pleasing, the post procession is a bit over the top deleting the impression of softness and delicacy that always seems to be a part of the impression when I encounter these plants.

Understood Frank. Colombia is greener than the US :allteeth:.

The flower is the picture but it isn't. The green overwhelms.

This is the sort of photo I wish I had taken; it's the kind of composition I seek to perfect.

Simply brilliant. Extremely well done. Really, I can't give you enough positive feedback.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back