BS thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The comments of Glaston seen to mostly come from those who started in the digital realm and never or only in a school lab processed a roll or print. I had a darkroom setup for over 30 years, still have it stored away and most likely will use it again. My hands are still stained brown with developer and the smell of the chemistry is unique and calling. I went digital in 1999 when the D1 came out, so I can speak to both realms. I still believe anyone serious about learning the nuts and bolts of photography should spend a lot of time with a manual 35mm camera, 50mm lens, handheld meter and 100's of feet of B&W film processed and printed by the student. Digital is fine, and the current and future standard. But anyone not well versed in wet "analog" photography is missing out on a wealth of fun and knowledge.

i agree with that to a point, but its not that i dont WANT to try and develop my own photos, its more that i cant afford it. a memory card and a digital camera is a lot cheaper in the long run than darkroom materials, chemistry, equipment , etc. I know i enjoy developing photos, and i'm sure i could afford it realistically, but only if i only shot maybe a roll per week or something, beyone that, it just wouldnt be worth it. I dont have anything against film purists or using film as opposed to digital though. Hey, its all photography right?! :hug::

Hey, its all photography right?! :hug::

yup

and hay, i never ment that i feel that all folks use photoshop for is manipulation, but every time i pick up a copy of shutterbug, all i seem to read about is how to emulate such and such a process in photoshop.

I tend to see digital and film as two very different animals and any comparisons we make between the two end up coming off as either being snide or silly (i'm guilty of it). Alas, every time I walk into Best Buy, Wal Mart, Ritz Camera, or any such comperable store, I feel that the pressure is on. The staff never seem to know what in the hell i'm on about when I ask about different films, developers, and other stuff. Then they try to persuade me to get whatever the newest thing is. I get annoyed and then feel compelled to post my frustration here. If i have any beef, it's with camera stores who try to sell me what I don't want. In other words, i've got no issues with any of you digital folks.

Now that I've had my rant for the day, anyone want a bear hug? And for those who want something sweet and cute for their day... my niece, Lydia, turns 1 on saturday!!! Her uncle Mike (that's me) is going to hurry up and finish a sweater for a teddy bear or just go and get her a Harley bear (whichever comes first) for the best birthday ever to happen in my lifetime.

Blah blah blablah.

Before you state my intimidation of technology, make sure you know my qualifications. I'll match you one for one, and then some.

I shoot film because I LIKE it. Dismount your own high-horse, digital-user, and understand the reason we don't like you (Not digital users in general, but YOU specifically, the film-user-basher). Or, as Terri succinctly put it:

Terri said:
Can the crap, k?

In case you need that in more technical terms: cat crap > /dev/null;

And let us return to our peaceful, nostalgic, and most importantly, non-ignorant discussion without your useless output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back