Build me up/tear me down

Joefbs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would really love to get some creative criticism on these photos. What could I do better in the editing process? What do you guys think about the composition? What did I do right? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. These are from a photo shoot I did with my sister-in-law's baby. She really likes the photos But i want to make sure that I'm giving her the best possible product I could give her. Thanks in advance.
f026823d05911d5ed86d1946c1e1967d.jpg
4af73b362c4bed3549b1e13250b93f92.jpg
35efd5fa28e7cc352a846cf832face03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the second the most of the three by a long shot, compositionally speaking. In the first one, I'm instantly reminded of the scene in E.T. where the alien is shoved into a closet full of toys to hide him from the parents... The third basically looks like an infant being crushed by a baseball glove. His hands and torso are cut off as well as his hat, and I'm willing to guess that for some folks, due to cropping, it wouldn't be immediately apparent that it's a baseball mitt on the kid's back. Could cause some confusion.

The second is nice, but the bathroom towel backdrop kind of detracts from the overall image for me, and the focus seems to be on the laces of the football, so the kid's face is soft.

If it were me, I would have tried to get the creases out of the backdrop and get some distance between it and the kid. Also, Try single point focusing and focus on the eyes. All three of the images seem pretty soft like the focus is just outside of where it should be.

Just my amateur .02.

A few thoughts:

Photo #1: Try to be mindful of unintentional perspectives. When you look at the photo, you probably see your nephew as you remember him from the day of the shoot. When I come in blind and look at the same photo, I see a disembodied baby head sitting in a bucket with a football, and I can't unsee it no matter how hard I try. Nice skin tones, though.

Photo #2: Better, because (to my relief) I can see that it's a live baby with a body. But the baby's expression is a bit too "random", IMO. Babies are unpredictable, and sometimes you just need to take a hundred shots to get a single one with a good expression. Watch the focus and the distracting direct reflection of your flashes off the football lettering (learn the difference between diffuse and direct reflection, and always be aware of it).

Photo #3: The baby's face feels underexposed relative to the rest of the photo, despite the fact that the image is rather hot all around. The inconsistency in the processing with the other shots in the set makes it look like it might even be a different baby.

I'd dump the props. The kid is photographic all on its own.

The new trend in baby photos is lots of propping. Ridiculous hats and headbands, footballs, wicker baskets, knitted yarn "pirate eyepatches" (seriously, saw this TODAY!!!!), footballs, soccer balls, all sorts of props are being made the central focus of many baby shots. It's a trend. Can't say that I am overly fond of it though.

These shots would benefit from removing the props from the baby.

Keep the ball in the shot? Sure, but NOT ON TOP OF the baby.

Same for the ball glove.

Thank you guys for all the tips. This is all new to me and I am learning. The props are something that she wanted in the shots. I need to go through all the photos I took to see if I can find any better ones. I really didn't like the baseball one and I am not sure on how to pose a squirming baby.....if that's even possible ;)

I am not sure on how to pose a squirming baby.....if that's even possible ;)

Benadryl.

(For those of you unfamiliar with photographing infants, do NOT use benadryl.)

Duct tape.

You could use super glue and coat hangars... if you do it right it will be just like posing a "Gumby" doll.

Mom might get mad though... Super glue is a PITA to clean off of skin.

Most reactions

Back