Build my lens Kit (final help)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ketan, Sep 1, 2007.

1. ketan

ketan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi,

After eating head of may many friends here on the forum, when EOS JD convinced me to have a look at TP lenses, I started to do so seriously.

It is really really very hard to pull the final trigger and GO.

My Budget: $ 1419 and nothing for at least 12 months.

Options:

(1) Canon 24-70L f/2.8 for $ 1419. End of story

(2) Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for $ 401 + Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro $ 380 + left with $ 639

(3) Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 for $ 380 + Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro $ 380 + left with $ 659

Canon 100mm f/2.8 $ 684.

Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro costs $ 516.

Tamron delear is cranky, Sigma Delear is good.

Ketan

2. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What are you mostly going to be shooting?

3. ketan

ketan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Family, cityscapes, travel, nighthotography, something for fun or experiment. Nothing professionally. But yes, serious photography (that's why invested in 30D).:confused:

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :cokespit:

5. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've not used a Tamron lens, but my experience with another Sigma Zoom (70-300) was it was pretty sharp on the short end, but soft on the long end.
    If you want the very best in build and Image Quality, Go with the 24-70L. I went the cheaper route to save money and in the end all I did was spend more money. I'm not saying the Lenses mentioned are not good, but there is a difference in IQ. Consider renting them to help you determine of the difference in IQ is within your taste.

If this is a serious hobby, buy the 24-70L. The 24-70 is capable of delivering amazing images. You wont regret the purchase. One thing to consider, the 24-70 is a heavy lens!

The Macro lens doesn't seem to fit into what you mention your interests are, so I would consider purchasing some extension tubes to use with the 24-70. This will allow you to play with real Macro to determine if you really have an interest. Also, the 24-70 has a minimum focus of 1.3 feet. This can take some really nice close-ups.

BTW- At Amazon.com they have a deal that fits close to your budget. I have seen images from the Sigma Macro and in my personal opinion its comparable to the Canon 100mm.

24-70L $1127 at Adorama Camera (reputable online store)
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-24-70mm-2-8L-Standard-Cameras/dp/B00009R6WT/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5637424-9880855?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188728030&sr=8-1[/ame]

Sigma Macro $364 (thru Amazon)
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-105mm-Medium-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B0002P19XA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5637424-9880855?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188729466&sr=1-1[/ame]

In Summary, Spend the money now and it will save you money in the long run.

6. ketan

ketan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the reply, I wish that I can get one on rent. Here in this part of the world people do not give lenses on rent.

7. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  8. ketan

ketan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks my friend, unfortunately this works only in US currently (as mentioned in the faq) :hail:

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The canon L series is definitely a nice lens, but aside from the fine build quality I do not see much optical performance at the review on photozone.de over the Tamron lens. I have seen that Tamron 28-75 and it seems to do the job, and reasonably well which is (queue flamebait) unlike tamron on the whole.

With the macros, I personally can't live without them. But I spend my life staring at the ground and love bringing a new world into focus. The practical differences between the 105 and the 150 are slight. Both have ok sharpness and are excellent in all other departments. The 150mm gives you a bit extra range so as not to spook your subjects, and it has a Silent Wave, I mean Ultra Sonic, I mean Hyper Sonic Motor, which means it will focus faster and quieter. You also didn't include the Canon 100mm Macro in the list??

I can't comment on the Sigma 24-70 as I have neither seen it reviewed or used. One thing though the 28mm Tamron falls short of being a wide angle on the Canon digital bodies below the 5D, as that translates roughly to 42mm for 35mm film. Not wide by any means.

I would safely rule out option number (1) because you simply lack bang for buck, unless you can find this lens secondhand somewhere. (2) is a good choice except for the aforementioned wide angle problem. (3) may be good I don't know about the sigma 24-70 though.

10. ketan

ketan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Choice between Sigma 150mm macro and Canon 100mm macro is canon, am I right?

11. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, that's correct. You had it on your list.

Look over some reviews here:
    http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html