Building a darkroom

hammy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I'm planning on building a darkroom within short time. My grandpa was a photographer for a living and I'll get to use all his darkroom equipment, lucky me.
I plan on building it near the garage. I'm actually building the room from the ground up. I plan to insulate it, and have running water in it.
Question is, about how big should I make it? I don't want it huge, yet I don't want it small. My friend and I will be using it at the same time...

My darkroom is 3 feet by 4 feet... just enough room for me to have a spot to sit between the dry and wet side (and hang my coats when I'm not using it). It works for me.

On a more realistic scale.... If I were setting one up from scratch, I'd probably go at least 9 X 12 feet... enough space for two workbenches with four 3-foot wide "stations." However, if I'd ever had a real darkroom to work in, I'd probably say larger yet.

just my $o.o25

I'm not sure there is an "ideal" size. Most of us make do with whatever space we can carve out, so you learn pretty fast how to set up efficiently. More important is to try to get some outside ventilation if you can. If you have that and some running water, you will be in luxury! ;)

Have you done a search for different plans or layouts? Think about all your equipment, storage, and look at the various ways to set up. That's a good way to get a rough idea about dimensions you'll need.

My darkroom, erm I mean the wifes utility room!:lol: , is 3m x 1.5m (12ft x 5ft) with the enlarger at one end and wet area at the other and has a worktop down one long side & a return down the short side.

Are you and your friend planning on doing a dry and wet side each or both? If you're both going to be using all the equipment then I'd say you'd need it wider to pass eachother easily, say 2m.

Alright. Seems the size I was thinking was about right. I plan on having one wet and dry side and just the walkway through the center. I got a lot of great plans from www.darkroomsource.net but I was just wondering other opinions/experiences.
And I definitely plan on setting up a nice ventilation system

Get a temp valve to control water temp. Something I did not due at first and wish I had.

Keep us posted on what you decide--I'm aquiring the equipment to build a darkroom myself. And I plan on doing it this winter, as long as I don't 1)get a job in a far-off land or 2)get evicted.

Build 'em, guys, then post pics of your results! :thumbup: I love seeing everyone's setups. :)

Has anyone ever started a thread for posting the pics of setups?

I'll try to do a before and after on mine. I'm fairly lucky--a previous tenant was a photo guy, so the light-proof room is there. I just need to set up a sink and a counter. Oh, if only i had more time and money. It'd be done right now.

Oh, if only i had more time and money.
Time and money - and the lack thereof - are the enemies of us all, my friend. ;) Just hang in there and you will still reap the rewards.

A before and after shot would be great!

ha im a little late, but im doing the poor, and lack of space darkroom, i spend a ton of time at my grandparents house, and they have an upstairs bathroom that is fairly large, that rarely is used. the only half that ever sees traffic is where the sink and toilet are, and thats still rare. in the very back of the room is a little alcove with a door to the master bedroom, which is perfect size for an enlarger and a little room to work/put things, and directly behind it is the bathtub, which has not been used in years, i have a long, skinny table that would be perfect size to put into the tub, and use for trays, and like darkroomsource.com says, im gonna try and find a way to put a printwasher in the tub.then ill use one of the two sinks when im developing film. the only two things im worried about are A) light, because the light above the enlarger area and the main light are on the same switch, and i dont want to put safe lights where both are, il figure that otu though) and ventilation, there is a window also right by the enlarger, which will becovered by a black cloth or something like that, but nothing too major. im so excited, wow that was really long. sorry :D

Most reactions

Back