Building a hat rack

bace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some of you people must be handy. Any ideas on how to make a hat rack...that's "bling". It's for a friend for christmas.

varnished 2x4 with 16 penny ringshanks spaced 16" on center.

Buy a plain cheap hat rack from a store and then bling that mofo up with glitter paint spray and purple leopard-skin effect fabric. Hang a big plastic medallion from the top when it's done.

BTW, I didn't understand a word of Jon's post (except maybe "varnish")!

Rob

I think JonMikal might be on to something...4x4 post, some landscaping spikes (instead of 16d nails) and a set of bolt on metal legs. Stain the wood, faux finish the metal...

Hire a pimp to stand with his arms out to the side for a long period of time, and hang your hats on his hands.

I just finished a wood carving for a friend...
Hat racks... hmmm... just search for one on google... find a design you like... then build something that looks nothing like it.... but still looks ok to you. :wink:

What are you all talking about? hat racks? And Rob... i didn't unserstand what John said either... maybe exept for "center".... :p:p

JonMikal said:
varnished 2x4 with 16 penny ringshanks spaced 16" on center.

I got some of that though I think it's just from watching too much Norm Abrams and The New Yanky Workshop! :lol:

It's not 2 by 4! ITS 4b2! :madass:and it's not a dado, it's a HOUSING! :angry1:

Norm's great but it's the only time I really shout at the TV! :lol:

Whilst trying to work your bizarre world of bricolage, I stumbled across this missive:

"Anyone who has ever put the working end of a 20-ounce framing to the rounded head of a 20-penny ringshank knows that the framework they are nailing together is just that--a framework, a skeleton, of what is to be."

It's another language. Like... what??

The nearest I get is probably the occasional re-run of Home Improvement.. :)

Rob

PlasticSpanner said:
I got some of that though I think it's just from watching too much Norm Abrams and The New Yanky Workshop! :lol:

It's not 2 by 4! ITS 4b2! :madass:and it's not a dado, it's a HOUSING! :angry1:

Norm's great but it's the only time I really shout at the TV! :lol:

i love Norm. that accent...he's a true new englander ;)

I also love shouting at the UK makeover guys! Most of them must be working from apprentices text books! :lol

And those pillocks who use butt joints all the time to make funiture & use screws into end grain! Those are the guys who should be reading the text books anyway! :lol:

PlasticSpanner said:
I also love shouting at the UK makeover guys! Most of them must be working from apprentices text books! :lol

And those pillocks who use butt joints all the time to make funiture & use screws into end grain! Those are the guys who should be reading the text books anyway! :lol:

:lmao:

So, due to the fact that I'm useless, I ended up just getting this from Ikea with some hooks for extra hats. I think she'll think it's really cool.

The top shelf has spaces so you can hook extra stuff on the it. Just hope that once attached to a wall it holds the weight. It's not like hats are heavy right?

22972_PE090024_S4.jpg

Most reactions

Back