Building a Portfolio for Product photography

flightless_beaker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm looking to get out of portraiture for a while. Well, actually mainly so I can start up my own portraiture business :). I've been looking for other work so I can pursue portaiture on my own. Been seeing quite a few listings for product photographers for ecommerce sites and the likes in my area. It's got me thinking instead of looking for a part time job I'd hate, I can still use my skillset in product. However, I don't really have a portfolio for that. I did one shoot one time a couple years back with a couple shop lights and a light tent made of PVC pipe. They were decent shots but really nothing to show off. I guess I have a few questions

What kinds of shots do employers look for in a portfolio?
What kinds of products should I put in my portfolio?
Maybe some advice from current product photographers on technique (though I can always browse the forum too :) )
Any other advice you guys can offer.

Thanks!

I would shoot something similar to the product that the company sells; if they sell t-shirts, shoot clothing. If they sell groceries, shoot groceries, I would shoot at least half the portfolio (say 5 images) in a style similar to that which the company already uses, and up to five more in styles that are popular on other 'sites.

So I'm looking to get out of portraiture for a while. Well, actually mainly so I can start up my own portraiture business :). I've been looking for other work so I can pursue portaiture on my own.

So you want to get out of portraiture so that you can start doing portraiture?

Been seeing quite a few listings for product photographers for ecommerce sites and the likes in my area.

Problem with most product photography work you find listed is that they pay vary little these days.

Honestly you will probably find more work doing portraiture then you will find doing product photography.

So I'm looking to get out of portraiture for a while. Well, actually mainly so I can start up my own portraiture business :). I've been looking for other work so I can pursue portaiture on my own.

So you want to get out of portraiture so that you can start doing portraiture?

Been seeing quite a few listings for product photographers for ecommerce sites and the likes in my area.

Problem with most product photography work you find listed is that they pay vary little these days.

Honestly you will probably find more work doing portraiture then you will find doing product photography.

Probably should clarify. I'm currently am working for a portraiture company as a photographer. I want to start out on my own and own my own business. I originally was planning to get a part time job to pay the bills but have been seeing quite a few listings for jobs for product photography. I'd rather work in my career path and maybe learn new techniques in another niche while also still trying to start my business. My thinking is that it would make me a bit more rounded and something I can always fall back on down the road.

tirediron, that's some good advice. Thanks for your input :)

Probably should clarify. I'm currently am working for a portraiture company as a photographer. I want to start out on my own and own my own business. I originally was planning to get a part time job to pay the bills but have been seeing quite a few listings for jobs for product photography. I'd rather work in my career path and maybe learn new techniques in another niche while also still trying to start my business. My thinking is that it would make me a bit more rounded and something I can always fall back on down the road.

Unless your employer made you sign a non compete agreement then why not do your own portraiture work on the side while you still work for them?

You should look into what those product photography jobs pay first.

Light Guru, I did sign a noncompete. I hate those things. And I've seen jobs that pay what my job pays.

gsgary. Yes on the lighting. Not so much on the modifiers, lol. I usually buy modifiers as I need them

Light Guru, I did sign a non-compete.
Okay, I can understand a non-compete clause which prevents you from using the employer's client-list, references, etc, but does this clause actually prevent you from doing any sort of portraiture on your own?

Does the company you work for let you alter the lighting and the camera settings?

What kinds of shots do employers look for in a portfolio?
What kinds of products should I put in my portfolio?
Maybe some advice from current product photographers on technique (though I can always browse the forum too :) )
Any other advice you guys can offer.

what kind of products are we talking about? I shot some scissors today, f.e. as an isolation. you can shot scissors in many ways, as every other product.
I think you need to give us more information about what kind of products you are talking about, it'll be much easier to give you some info or tips.

Light Guru, I did sign a non-compete.
Okay, I can understand a non-compete clause which prevents you from using the employer's client-list, references, etc, but does this clause actually prevent you from doing any sort of portraiture on your own?

Yes. It does actually prevent me from doing any other portraiture, which has been the biggest hurdle in getting my own thing up and running. It says I can't work as a portrait photographer within 50 miles of any of the stores, with the franchisee or any of the other licensed stores.

what kind of products are we talking about? I shot some scissors today, f.e. as an isolation. you can shot scissors in many ways, as every other product.
I think you need to give us more information about what kind of products you are talking about, it'll be much easier to give you some info or tips.

That's the thing. I'm just starting to look into it. My niche is portraiture, not necessarily product. I don't have much knowledge of it on technique or the styles or types of products shot with the exception of seeing product photography on e-commerce websites like Amazon and ModCloth, etc. I guess I can narrow this down for the sake of discussion. I recently saw Amazon is hiring photographers. That's something I'd really like to pursue but want to practice the kinds of photography they're looking for and building my portfolio.

...Yes. It does actually prevent me from doing any other portraiture, which has been the biggest hurdle in getting my own thing up and running. It says I can't work as a portrait photographer within 50 miles of any of the stores, with the franchisee or any of the other licensed stores.
What is the duration of the non-compete? I would spend the couple of hundred dollars it will cost and consult a lawyer; a lot of what is put into contracts and agreements is not enforceable; it's there in the hope that people will accept it blindly.

What is the duration of the non-compete? I would spend the couple of hundred dollars it will cost and consult a lawyer; a lot of what is put into contracts and agreements is not enforceable; it's there in the hope that people will accept it blindly.

Agreed. And I think I have accepted it blindly. It says for the duration of me working there and 2 years after I separate. But we have photographers who quit and worked for the portrait studio down the hallway in the mall. So I don't think that part is enforced. A good friend of mine is an entrepreneur and knows quite a few lawyers. I should give him a copy and have one of his lawyer friends take a look.

Well, build a product portfolio. Get a couple good books on still-life and table-top work, and get busy. Product photography has a lot of tricks and techniques, and a solid knowledge of how light functions is essential. Light,Science,Magic, the newest edition, might be a good read for you.

Shoot glassware, metal, paper goods, until you can pull off shots of most subjects without going crazy. You might be surprised at how complex this field is if all you are used to lighting are "people".

Thanks Derrel. What I was looking for. And I'll definitely check out that book. Now the glassware, metal, etc that you are saying, would that just be stuff I would shoot from around my house? I did some more job searching today. Found some apparel photographer positions. Any advice on how to get started on that?

EDIT: Checked out that book online. That looks really good. Can't believe I've never seen that before. My lighting techniques could use some sprucing up. I'm good with people lighting. Other things could use work :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back