Building a studio setup...

vdmsr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am in the process of setting up a studio setup and am starting from scratch. I have about a 20ftx20ft area with 10ft ceilings to work with.

I want to get a few strobes (maybe two or three), one or two different backgrounds (muslin white? black?)

What products or kit bundles would you guys recommend? I was told to look at Alien Bees for a good setup of strobes/etc.

Thoughts, considerations and opinions from experience?

Thanks

Like any "what gear" question, budget is critical; how much do you want/can you afford to spend.

Second, what are you going to shoot? 20x20x10 is a fairly small space.

Alien Bee is decent gear, with a lot of available accessories making it a good choice for consumer use. Personally, I'm not a fan of bundles since my idea of what I want/need and the idea of the person who assembles the bundle are usually different. My suggestion would be 2 150 w/s lights and one 300ish w/s unit; a couple of umbrellas and medium (>36") softbox.

As to backgrounds, I would start with plain medium grey. Using light and gels, you can easily turn that into everything from pure white to pure black and every colour of the rainbow in between.

Like any "what gear" question, budget is critical; how much do you want/can you afford to spend.

Second, what are you going to shoot? 20x20x10 is a fairly small space.

Alien Bee is decent gear, with a lot of available accessories making it a good choice for consumer use. Personally, I'm not a fan of bundles since my idea of what I want/need and the idea of the person who assembles the bundle are usually different. My suggestion would be 2 150 w/s lights and one 300ish w/s unit; a couple of umbrellas and medium (>36") softbox.

As to backgrounds, I would start with plain medium grey. Using light and gels, you can easily turn that into everything from pure white to pure black and every colour of the rainbow in between.

Budget isn't really a consideration per se, I'd like something is quality which I can have a few years at least - so if its $1000 per strobe, that's fine as long as it is going to do exactly what I want.

The photography I plan to do in this space isn't really requiring the space traditional studio's have. Mostly product photography and/or single or double person photography - maybe a single or double person video once in a while.

Could you provide a few links of items you mentioned so I can follow through with my own research - 150/300 w/s lights, umbrellas/softboxs, the plain medium grey and gels you mentioned.

Thanks.

In addition to Elinchrome recommended above, Broncolor, Speedotron and Bowens (the brand I use) are all excellent. You don't want fabric backgrounds for product shots. You want paper. Save the fabric ones for traditional portraits. I rarely shoot traditional portraits. When I do, I still use paper backgrounds. I think the folds and wrinkles in fabric distract from the subject. Most of the portraits I do are taken on location with the the client doing what they normally do. Be sure to pick up a sturdy tripod in case you plan to do available light work, a table and light tent for small products and paint the walls and ceiling white or gray. No need to fight color reflections in your studio. You will also want either a very long synch cord or a remote firing system of some sort so you can move around your set. Don't forget reflectors and light modifiers for the strobes and light stands, of course.

Monolights like the Alien Bee work fine but don't have the reliability, longevity, power and control of power pack systems. If you can afford it go with a pack and heads from one of the recommended brands. I've been using my Bowens system for more than 20 years. I've replaced a few worn out strobe tubes on the heads but, otherwise, have never done any maintenance at all. The same should be true of Elinchrome and the others mentioned above.

The big gripe I hear about Alien Bees and from my minimal experience with them is the color profile changes every few pops of the light.

I promise I am not trying to use this thread as a way to sell things, but I am actually about to sell my current studio set-up which is a Elinchrom BRX set-up plus an additional D-Lite monolight and a host of modifiers. Basically, I'm selling a 3-light fully functional studio kit with soft boxes, reflectors, honeycomb grids, etc. Here is the Elinchrom kit that I bought which started as my foundation: Elinchrom BRX 250 and BRX 500 Monolights To Go Kit EL20757.2 B&H I'll be putting it up for sale in a few days on here if you want to see what a good studio starter set-up looks like.

I'm only selling my Elinchrom because I am doing more location work and want to invest in the wireless battery powered strobes (which cost $$).

Alienbees are flimsy as hell! All plastic bodies and inconsistent colour temp.
Elinchom is a good place to start. Profoto if you have more to spend.
Broncolor is top of the line but only use that if you plan to shoot 8 hours a day, 7 days a week sorta thing.
Pack and Head if you can afford it, monolights if you're poor.
What are you planning to photograph?
Also, forget LightStands - they suck.
If you're not dragging them about, use C-Stands and sandbags...lots of sandbags.
Make sure the circuit of your "studio" can handle the amperage, if not you'd be tripping it all the time.
If it's a permanent studio space, forget the Muslin - build an infinity cove.
Do you have windows? Consider natural light, but also have blackout curtains.

Once again, it all depends on what you're photographing and your sense of aesthetics.
Your ceiling is a big lower than what I'd like but it's workable.

Alienbees are flimsy as hell! All plastic bodies and inconsistent colour temp.
Elinchom is a good place to start. Profoto if you have more to spend.
Broncolor is top of the line but only use that if you plan to shoot 8 hours a day, 7 days a week sorta thing.
Pack and Head if you can afford it, monolights if you're poor.
What are you planning to photograph?
Also, forget LightStands - they suck.
If you're not dragging them about, use C-Stands and sandbags...lots of sandbags.
Make sure the circuit of your "studio" can handle the amperage, if not you'd be tripping it all the time.
If it's a permanent studio space, forget the Muslin - build an infinity cove.
Do you have windows? Consider natural light, but also have blackout curtains.

Once again, it all depends on what you're photographing and your sense of aesthetics.
Your ceiling is a big lower than what I'd like but it's workable.

I am not married to the idea of getting something different than Alienbees I was just given that idea by someone who has been around much longer than me in the photography game.

I'll check out those companies offerings.

I am getting an electrician to wire new lines specifically for the studio space.

No windows.

It is a semi-permanent space, meaning I will have a lot of versatility with what it looks like for many years - link to how do/diy for an infinity cove?

I'll mostly be shooting firearms/accessories/product shots of that nature and people, full size, maybe one or two at a time.

Most reactions

Back