Building before its time

Kish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chandraclan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This building is called the Nakagin Capsule Tower.

Designed by the late Kurokawa Kisho, this building was build in the early '70s as a new concept capsule building. Each room was built in with the latest technology available, and the thinking was that, as technology improved, new blocks would be built, the old ones would be pulled out and replaced with the new, hence the tenant would always be living in lap of latest luxury.

Unfortunately, the capsules were never updated, and now the building is in severe disrepair. Now there are talks of demolishing this building.

KISHO KUROKAWA

when i first saw the photo i thought it's a photo manipulation with washing machines stacked up together :lol: very nice

horrible fate for that very cool building

Yeah, it is a shame. Looking at the building, its obvious it has seen better days....

The owner's association is trying to do what it can to preserve the building and make the necessary repairs, and has enlisted the help of Kurokawa's estate for the funds.

Cool building. Cool concept. To bad it didn't work. I have to mention, however, that it does remind me of a stack of front loading washers :shock: :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back