Building website- need advice on a piece...

kitkatdubs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently working on my website and need help. Under my portfolio tab, I list each "session" (if thats what you want to call it) and under each I have to put a name. I don't want to put the childs first name but I also don't want to put their last name because for example, if I did the last name and I use some of the children, and then use some of the family photos under "family" then I use their last name twice. Does that make sense? What I could do instead? Thanks

www.kaitlynrosephotography.com

Dont post galleries, just post a few of your best photos.

Or, as you already started to to, title family sessions "The Stones" and single people just last names.

Or, just add the single child photos in under the family grouping, no need for two galleries of the same family.

I dont see why anyone ( potential clients, strangers etc) even the people themselves should be able to see all of a persons session on your website.

I took another peek because I was curious about the " Investment" page. I would drop the word best and the +. Best is subjective, it also implies you will take some not best. The + could get someone wanting more, for not more $$$.

I am currently working on my website and need help. Under my portfolio tab, I list each "session" (if thats what you want to call it) and under each I have to put a name. I don't want to put the childs first name but I also don't want to put their last name because for example, if I did the last name and I use some of the children, and then use some of the family photos under "family" then I use their last name twice. Does that make sense? What I could do instead? Thanks
Why wouldn't you use the child's first name? It seems to work well the way you have it.

BTW: I know you didn't ask for a review if your site, but I would like to invite myself to comment on something. It is very slow. Either your host is slow or your photographs are too large to load quickly.

Dont post galleries, just post a few of your best photos.

Or, as you already started to to, title family sessions "The Stones" and single people just last names.

Or, just add the single child photos in under the family grouping, no need for two galleries of the same family.

I dont see why anyone ( potential clients, strangers etc) even the people themselves should be able to see all of a persons session on your website.

I am not posting full galleries- the wordpress theme I bought shows only 2 photos per sessions which is what I am doing. I, of course, am only showing the full edited session to the client.

Why wouldn't you use the child's first name? It seems to work well the way you have it.

BTW: I know you didn't ask for a review if your site, but I would like to invite myself to comment on something. It is very slow. Either your host is slow or your photographs are too large to load quickly.

Ok I will take a look at why its loading so slow. It seems to be loading quickly for me but I'll have my website whizz husband check it out:)

I don't mind using the first name of the kids, but sometimes there are "families" of children so I am wondering what I should say for that. I don't want to post the children under the family group b/c Id really like to keep it separate. Also, I am not sure how the families feel about having their last name or children's names on my website. Trying to think of another way of doing it.

As OG wrote above; don't make your galleries public. Make the family galleries available only to your paying client, and have them each uniquely password-protected. You can include a few shots of children, adults, pets, etc. in your public portfolio, but you don't need to put anyone's name in there.

As low as the contrast between the text and background on your web site is - it is difficult to read.

I would change the wording of:
"50% of the price of the session is required as a deposit and will be put towards your session price ."

To
50% of the price of the session is required at booking to secure the date and time you want me to reserve for you.

Since you use the word - deposit - if the client cancels the session very close to the date/time, or is a no show what does your contract say about what happens with that money?

As OG wrote above; don't make your galleries public. Make the family galleries available only to your paying client, and have them each uniquely password-protected. You can include a few shots of children, adults, pets, etc. in your public portfolio, but you don't need to put anyone's name in there.

I am not making the galleries public- I have a tab on my home page for client access to the full gallery thats password protected...

The wordpress theme I am using has me do a "gallery type" feel... but I am only uploading two photos per "session". I am trying to figure out what to put under each instead of their name or last name... I don't know how it'd look if I left it blank.

As low as the contrast between the text and background on your web site is - it is difficult to read.

I would change the wording of:
"50% of the price of the session is required as a deposit and will be put towards your session price ."

To
50% of the price of the session is required at booking to secure the date and time you want me to reserve for you.

Since you use the word - deposit - if the client cancels the session very close to the date/time, or is a no show what does your contract say about what happens with that money?

Keith I haven't had a chance to fully finish my contract... I am just trying to focus on my website currently and next step is to work on contract.

So the photo I uploaded is part of my portfolio... As I stated above, I am only using two photos. The theme is set up this way so I am trying to figure out how else I could do it. I don't want to put their names under each but I don't know what other options I have. It would look silly if I just left it blank right?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 9.26.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 9.26.48 AM.png
    869.3 KB · Views: 151
I don't think blank is silly as the names do not matter to anyone but the named, and they are looking at their portfolios in a different section of the site. A date might help with continuity, and for your own sanity. What is the purpose of these mini galleries?

Sorry I obviously hadn't checked the "galleries" and posted some un needed CC.

I don't think blank is silly as the names do not matter to anyone but the named, and they are looking at their portfolios in a different section of the site. A date might help with continuity, and for your own sanity. What is the purpose of these mini galleries?

Sorry I obviously hadn't checked the "galleries" and posted some un needed CC.

I don't really know the point of the mini sessions- its how the wordpress theme is set up that I bought... so Im trying to work with it as best as I can.

Its hard to build a coherent website when you have constraints like that. You can't just have a gallery with all of your photos? I wouldn't pay for that, I don't know word press however so Im no help there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back