Buildings in Minneapolis

shorty6049

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i've sorta hit a wall with my photography lately.. I feel like i just cant get any of my photos to look profesional or something... I like how a lot of your pictures look, and i can never get the same effects, whether it be black and white photos, or getting colors that really work well in a photo or whatever. so i need some critique on this... i feel like it looks ok i guess, but maybe theres things that could be done to make it better?

mplsbuildings.jpg

Ah. That feeling!
Don't I know it only too well?

I feel that for photos of this kind, you need to use a smaller aperture and get everything in focus. I feel that something as stark as these walls and this light and these deep, deep shadows need to be in focus from the foreground to the far background. Nothing may be blurred.

That said, I wish the tops of the houses were in focus!
Also I feel that the wide open aperture that you used diffuses the light (if a wide open aperture does that at all, which I don't really know) ... it shines brightly, glaringly, and I just think that - as it does in nighttime photography with the street lights that become nice little stars and not big bright blobs with a small aperture - the same might have happened to that bright shaft of sunlight that fell into this alleyway if you had used a small aperture.

Do I express myself at all?

(I am in spring clean fever, and I fear it might transpire. My head is really really spinning and I suddenly find out house way too large for just one person to do it all. ALL!)

Yes, it would looks great if you had a tighter aperture and had everything in focus.

I dont know something about the out of focussness gives this shot a sense of movement, which is interesting, like you took it out of a cab driving down a dark alley.

Out of curiousity, where did you take the picture? Looks a tad like the old mill area a bit up the river from the U on the west bank.

I like the pic, but I would have maybe added a touch more contrast. See how you can see the building in the bottom of the pic where the shadow is? I think it would be good if you couldnt clearly see the bricks in the wall. Also, if the white reflection or whatever wasnt directly in the middle of the pic, it would look a bit more interesting.

its NEAR that area, but not really... its kinda in the middle of the city, kinda toward that direction though..., one of the buildings was a resteraunt, i dont remember what the other one was

Tony! Thats a great picture in my opinion. I do agree with the whole aperature thing but its still a great shot with very unique lighting. Not such a big wall you have hit more like a curb! hah

lol, i just got it now, i thought you were referring to the wall in the photo, not my metaphorical wall... we're good now... lol

Most reactions

Back