Built in flash on a D40

VltnDennis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently the built in flash on my d40 stopped working. The camera works fine but when i pop up the flash it wont take the picture. Now the camera is about a year old. Will nikon do the repairs under the warranty?

I would like to get some other speed light to trigger it remotley , since i found out i cant do it like that right know

Give Nikon a call and your best bet would be to just send it on in or bring it to a shop.. GL
TJ

Recently the built in flash on my d40 stopped working. The camera works fine but when i pop up the flash it wont take the picture. Now the camera is about a year old. Will nikon do the repairs under the warranty?

I would like to get some other speed light to trigger it remotley , since i found out i cant do it like that right know
If it's been more than a year since the purchase date, it's no longer in warranty. If it's out of warranty Nikon, would do the repair for a fee. Being out of warranty, you don't have to send it to Nikon. They have several authorized repair shops across the country. Nikon Service has facilities on the east and west coasts. I often use APS in Illinois, rather than send my out of warranty gear all the way to California.

To trigger a remote speedlight, your best bet would be to use a radio trigger.

What is your budget for a remotely triggered speedlight setup?

If it's been more than a year since the purchase date, it's no longer in warranty. If it's out of warranty Nikon, would do the repair for a fee. Being out of warranty, you don't have to send it to Nikon. They have several authorized repair shops across the country. Nikon Service has facilities on the east and west coasts. I often use APS in Illinois, rather than send my out of warranty gear all the way to California.

There are no repair shops near me since im in PR , thats why i was asking.

I dont really have a budget in mind but i dont want anything too expensive since

The cactus V4 triggers or for a little more and better quality and reliability you can go with the Paul Buff cybersyncs. GL
TJ

There are no repair shops near me since im in PR , thats why i was asking.

I dont really have a budget in mind but i dont want anything too expensive since
How much is expensive? A Nikon Speedlight that can be remotely triggered by a D40 is about $350 USD. That's the Nikon SB-800 set to SU-4 mode. But, you have to have a working flash on the D40. Nikon doesn't make it anymore so the $350 USD price is for used here in the US.

So the other route is to get a 3rd party speedlight and a radio trigger setup. 3rd party speedlights are Bower, Sunpack, Vivitar, Sigma, Nissen, and several others. Prices range from $30 USD for a junk speedlight to several hundred dollars.

Radio triggers go from $30 USD on ebay to $360 USD for 2 Pocket Wizard plus II's (one for the camera, one for the speedlight).

Yeah i was thinking about getting some radio triggers out of ebay and a vivitar flash , i am by no means a pro and i mainly do automotive photography

now you have an excuse to grab a sb600 and some cactus V4s

:D

My D40's flash quit after two weeks. After one lengthy experience with Nikon's repair facility, it isn't worth it to me to send it in. I stuck my Sunpak on and although it doesn't work in TTL and adds a lot of bulk to the camera, I'm used to that from my film cameras.

One odd thing I found out is that although it's advertised to sync to 1/500, it actually does it all the way up to 1/4000, at least with the set up I have now at full power. I didn't try this while the built in flash was working. At longer distances I have to change the guide number, but who cares? Maybe something else broke in which case it's another reason not to send it in. Nikon might fix it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back