"Burnham Low Lighthouse" Long Exposure

bishopsmead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
adamclutterbuck.com
40718494.jpg

Great composition and lighting. The colours are really fluid, and there's a strong sense of tranquility in this photograph. Gorgeous.

On exposure time - its a stacked image, 20 photographs, each between 4-6 seconds each.

So its an equivalent of approximately 100 sec. I did some genuine long exposures a few weeks back at the same location (2-5 mins) and the hot pixels were a real problem. This technique solves that problem.

since this is a critique forum the only thing i would say is maybe expose it a little longer to brighten up the whole scene being that it seems kind of dark to me. great concept though im loving it.

can you explain to me how a stacked image works? i'm not familiar with the technique. interesting photo though.

There's a nice piece of software you can buy that stacks a set of pictures together and you can specify whether the software stacks the images (each pixel's values are accumulated) or averages them.

Since each of the images was exposed (nearly) correctly, I chose to average the pictures, and hey presto, a long exposure is created

This is not an advert: but more details are available here

Cheers

Out of curiosity, how many hot pixels were you getting to have to stack the images? I only get about 4, so I can paste right over them.

I love this picture. It's gorgeous and so serene!
The only thing that bugs me are the blurred clouds. They're very pretty but they don't do it for me. But hey - ignore me coz I'm the only one who's mentioned it. he he :)
BTW that is a really cool lighthouse!!

Kent Frost said:
Out of curiosity, how many hot pixels were you getting to have to stack the images? I only get about 4, so I can paste right over them.

I had dozens of them. Far too many to want to start cloning them out...
But I was attempting very long exposures of betwen 3 and 6 minutes. I believe the problem gets worse and more hot pixels appear the longer the exposure.

Under what circumstances do you get 4?

Anytime really. Whether it's 1/100 sec or 30 seconds. Of course the higher the ISO, the more blatant they become. You can do a hot pixel test just by putting the cap on the lens and setting the camera for the different shutter speed increments. I can't quite remember where online the testing program is, but it simply counts them all for you. If you do it by eye, you can typically get an idea of how many you have.

Where was this?

I took a long exposure of a light house under starry night and it was amazing. My remote wasn't working properly or else it would have even been better.

yes, beautiful!
the only criticism it deserves, if some, would be the blurred clouds, as Meysha says. But still a great picture, sure!

Most reactions

Back