Burro Schmidt Tunnel

woodsac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.around395.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Burro Schmidt Tunnel is locate in the remote El Paso Mountains in the Mojave desert. I have traveled there several times over the last 20 years or so. I decided to go back yesterday. It's a rough drive that sometimes requires 4WD.

There's tons of interesting info all over the web about this place. Here's a couple with some different info on both.

If you read this first link, make sure to follow the link at the very bottom of the page for more updated info.
http://www.high-desert-memories.com/garlock.html

http://www.burroschmidttunnel.org/

The tunnel pics are looking in and out from the same spot. I didn't make the journey through the tunnel yesterday.

54186047-L.jpg

54186046-L.jpg

54186050-L.jpg

Those are awesome photos! Great b&w's and the last two shots are excellent indeed! Composition, contrast, everything is :thumbup:

wow...what an amazing achievment, and people complain about hard work these days!

Your second shot here is one of the most haunting B+W's i'v seen for a long time. Looks like its been there as he left it all those years ago, untouched.

Its strange because i find the second image intimidating, but third the exact opposite like a release of pressure. Inspired :thumbup:

great shots, i really like #3. it has a cool look looking out from inside

#2 is gorgeous! :D nice set of shots Jake :)

that second shot rocks (literally)...looks like you used on board flash? if so it worked very well creating a high contrast light. Just curious tho cos there seems to be a soft edge to the shadows and it seems to be lit really far back; farther than flash could reach...care to illuminate us on how it was done? :mrgreen:

JonK said:
that second shot rocks (literally)...looks like you used on board flash? if so it worked very well creating a high contrast light. Just curious tho cos there seems to be a soft edge to the shadows and it seems to be lit really far back; farther than flash could reach...care to illuminate us on how it was done? :mrgreen:
Tricks of the trade huh? Ya...well...I don't really have any :er:

All natural light Jon. This is one of those rare cases where I slightly overexposed. But, before I did that, I moved my truck out in front of the opening and let the sun reflect off of my tinted side windows into the tunnel. It gave me that little extra distance that I thought would make or brake this. I took a couple of trial shots and couldn't see far enough without blowing out the rocks in the fg.

Most reactions

Back