Business Card Critique

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just whipped these up. I was going for something clean and modern and am pleased with the results.

3439505506_f53d377518_b.jpg

I need to get my own site to show off my work, but I haven't gotten around to building that. So for now, I put in my SmugMug and my PhotoBlog to fill the space.

Thoughts anyone?

I love the layout and design...looks very professional.

Yes...get your own website.
I'm not sure what the trend is for labeling your phone number and email. People will know it's a phone number without the "ph:"....so I say, just leave it out. Same goes with the "Em".

I've noticed some other designers doing that as a modern trend, thought I would give it a try. I wasn't sure if I liked it, hence the critique.

Thanks for the comments.

I agree, nice looking card. The Ph/Em doesn't bug me so much, but I agree it's not really necessary

The only real reason to have your phone number noted as such would be in the case of you and your buisness actually utilizing a FAX number in which you would then have the FAX number noted as well. That would then carry down to also labeling the email to at that point.

Other then that I think the design looks very professional and to point. I also agree with the get your own domain and website.

Nice work!

Other then that I think the design looks very professional and to point. I also agree with the get your own domain and website.
Nice work!

Brian... gotta respectfully (but strongly) disagree with LokiZ.

It looks professional and all... but I personally would not hire a freelance photographer who didn't have an actual photograph on their business card.

A business card is not about showing off your business card-designing abilities. It's about showing off how good of a photographer you are.

In other words, it's a completely wasted opportunity to show off your very best photograph. So in this case, I'd replace the swirly logo on the back side with an actual photograph.

Jim I respect your opinion for sure, but I do have to add a bit more.

If you give out your business card before you've done any work to sway that promising hopeful customer, what do you think is going to happen to your card? If you give them your card but they are reluctant about you and your business because you personally have not sold them prior to giving them the card you may be hoping in vain.

I personally would not hire anybody with a non-professional card. (aside from a struggling family member) And let me be frank, with all due respect putting a photo on your business is far from any type of insurance that your card will look professional. You go too far with your design and there is no turning back, don't go far enough at least it is still clean and simple and the info is easy to extract and use.

What I see on Brian's card is this...

His logo in my mind is the front end of a lens... The front end of a lens in which something amazing is about to take place. To me that depicts that the image is about to enter into his camera and at that point his expertise will transform it into something wonderful and worth spending my money on. Now I don't know Brian or his work. I am just saying that is what his logo is saying to me. Not sure how he would pick one photo that will rub everyone that see's it the right way. But logos are usually a tad bit more neutral in how they are received.

On the back of the card his logo (a lens in my mind) is attached to a camera (the red block)

If they are curious about his work let them view it on line where the quality is better then a 3.5 X 2 600 dpi canvas.

Again though just my opinon

Loki nailed it.

Filling up my business card with a photo will effect my image in a way by making me seem a bit un-professional. If you are a good photographer, your work will speak for itself. Another thing I will add is that the way the card is now reflects my style as well. It's simple and minimalistic just like my photography. I don't have a truckload of fancy equipment. Just some basic equipment that enables me to get the job done.

Plus consider the fact that the business card is 3.5 x 2, if I put a photo on there you wouldn't be able to clearly see it anyways.

Also, you're missing the point of a business card. It's just supposed to be your contact information, nothing more. Why would you use it for advertising?

Last edited:
Also, you're missing the point of a business card. It's just supposed to be your contact information, nothing more. Why would you use it for advertising?

Are you joking? A business card is one of the most cost effective ways of advertising your business there is. Just because the convention is to put stuffy old "contact info" only doesn't mean that there aren't dozens of creative ways to use your business card as a marketing tool. Calls to action, limited time offers, coupons... can all be put on the back of a business card, with amazing results.

I like to think of a business card as a mini billboard... albeit a graceful and tasteful one.

If you are a good photographer, your work will speak for itself.
I definitely agree with this... and what better way to distribute your work cheaply (what are b.c., $50 for 1,000?) than on a business card.

Assuming that people are going to be impressed enough with your card to later visit your website seems like a HUGE wasted opportunity to me.

Agreed, there are many ways to use your business card, but I prefer not to put all my eggs in one basket. I'd rather focus my attention elsewhere like marketing materials, websites, and taking photos. People aren't going to choose a photographer for what their business card looks like, they are going to choose them because of the work they do. I'd rather focus my attention there, where it matters.

Besides you would like to show us what your business card looks like?

Agreed, there are many ways to use your business card, but I prefer not to put all my eggs in one basket. I'd rather focus my attention elsewhere like marketing materials, websites, and taking photos. People aren't going to choose a photographer for what their business card looks like, they are going to choose them because of the work they do. I'd rather focus my attention there, where it matters.

Besides you would like to show us what your business card looks like?

Brian:

I agree with all this... I think we're just on opposite sides of the marketing spectrum. I personally see a business card as a potential marketing item... not much different than a postcard, brochure, or website. I don't see it as just as a way to lead people to your other marketing materials.

I also agree that you will ultimately be judged by your work (as you should). But I think because business cards are so cheap to distribute, they can be a nice showcase for this work. Compare the marketing price of sending out 1,000 8-page brochures with the cost of passing out 1,000 business cards.

And because of the low cost, I also think for photographers who have multiple specialties... it makes sense to have multiple cards. If you are a portrait and wedding photographer, don't have a card that tries to do it all. Have one "wedding" card and one "portrait" card... and distribute them as appropriate.

As for my own business cards... I don't have them. But I'm a marketer, not a photographer... and I have my own reasons for not carrying them.

Loki nailed it.

Filling up my business card with a photo will effect my image in a way by making me seem a bit un-professional.

----------------------------------------------------------------

You have done a good job with the design, no probs there, well done.

However, i have designed cards for many photographers showing images. It does not make it unprofessional, as i design it with a very considered layout.
You can also definitely use a business card to promote your business... absolutely... it is all part of your business brand, and branding itself can sell your business.

I did mention tho that yours still works well without images, because it has a strong brand, and there is nothing wrong with taking that rout.
Iv added more info in the other business card thread...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-shop-talk/162272-business-cards.html

I think this is going to be an ongoing debate. I can see both sides of the issue but to me it seems to come down to preference. I would rather not have images on my card. I want something simple and clean where as others may want to have some sample images, there's nothing wrong with that, but it's just not my taste.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back