Business Card Design

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this but as I want critique I figured it was. Feel free to move it if need be.

My main concern about this is the model on the left as she is looking away and everyone else is looking at the camera. My name and contact info will be on the back with the same sky as the background. Do you think that any of the models just don't work there? Or should they be moved around in any way? Also do you see any problem areas I might have missed when I removed the background form the original pics? You might think "Deep Spring Photography" is a little too low but that is there on purpose so I can keep it in the safe text area.

Thank you very much.

l_e0b9b393ca371c49cd554decc34d6e6d.jpg

I agree about the image on the far left...it doesn't fit with the rest.

As for the card overall, I'm not feeling it. I think I would prefer to see just one image, rather than a collage.

Of these ones, I like the girl in the blue jacket & shirt. She is smiling and has good eye contact. Also, that one is back lit, which might make it easy to assemble with a bright background (like your sky or a sunset etc.)

They shot of the dude doesn't work for me...he looks sad.
The girl on the far right might work.

You have to remember that a card or advertisement should appeal to a great number of people. I'm sure the people in the shots would love it...or the friends & family of the people in the shots. To me, or a perspective client...they are just people...which doesn't tell me much. Maybe find or hire a model and shoot with the intention of creating an image for your card.

Or forget about using a photo(s) for your card and think about a logo instead, or some copy (text).

Alright thanks for all your sugestions... as always.

My idea with putting all the pictures was to show potential clients a few samples without making them go online or anything.

I'll try re-working it with the picture you mentioned as that one is also my favorite. About a logo I have been trying for months to come up with something but I keep getting stuck on it

Of these ones, I like the girl in the blue jacket & shirt. She is smiling and has good eye contact.

I agree w/ Mike... she's probably the only one who would make me contact you. I think it's sort of a "quality vs. quantity issue," and for your business card (or any kind of advertising), one GREAT shot is much better than several GOOD shots.

On the back, are you going to be more specific about the kind of photography you specialize in?

If you're going to use the girl in the blue jacket I would fix her hair. It's majorly blown out at the top.

Yes on the back I will be more specific.

As the girl in the blue jacket happens to be my gf I'll just get her to do another shoot with me with the intent of somehting for a card. Thanks for the input

I think you have a great start.
I would make the people smaller, lower them and then fade them out a bit. I wouldnt shadow the title because youre making a business card, not a computer graphic. The flat look works best for print. I would also lighten the background a bit. Thats a pretty brilliant blue.
And then, (and this is just me) I would raise your title and left justify it along with your location information. I would right justify your website and/or email, and also a tagline or slogan.
Like I said, great start.

If your thing is portraits, then a portrait would be appropriate, but your copy should mention portraits. Figure out your demographic and ditch anything that doesn't speak to them. Always ask yourself, if I was just handed this card -what would be the difference between going in the wallet and going in the trash bin and be very very hardcore about it. 90% of the people you hand it to will trash or lose it. If you can cut that to 60% you're doing great.

I'm lovin all your suggestions. For right now this is my game plan

1. Leave only the girl in blue jacket and move her over to the left.
2. Do something about her hair (or reshoot a simiar shot of her)
3. Under my name possibly (I have to see how the layout looks with everything else write "Specializing in Portraits"
4. Add MY name and contact info to the right side (saves $5 on double sided printing)
5. Turn down the briallint blue of the Florida sky

I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to put just the sky on the back of the card. It might make it stand out a little bit if it isn't plain white on the back.

I'm lovin all your suggestions. For right now this is my game plan

1. Leave only the girl in blue jacket and move her over to the left.
2. Do something about her hair (or reshoot a simiar shot of her)
3. Under my name possibly (I have to see how the layout looks with everything else write "Specializing in Portraits"
4. Add MY name and contact info to the right side (saves $5 on double sided printing)
5. Turn down the briallint blue of the Florida sky
If you're trying to start a business... don't be so petty about saving $5. Instead, put some really vibrant copy on the back of your card... something that will, as Eric said, make your card stand out from all the "blah" cards out there. If you do that, you will make your 5 bucks back, like, thousands of times over.

In other words... business cards have two sides. Everybody should make full use of both of 'em.

I'm sorry but to me your business card says, "I'm going to light you very flatly and then airbrush the hell out of you." Given that, I think you may have more important things to worry about than your business card.

I'm sorry but to me your business card says, "I'm going to light you very flatly and then airbrush the hell out of you." Given that, I think you may have more important things to worry about than your business card.

I got to agree with MaxBloom. The card, IMHO, is very cheesy. I would use a good quality card, with tasteful logo. I understand that you want to show off your wares and get interest, but if people are serious they will look at your website so you end up with better quality leads, but it will depend on who you want to attract, your price point in the market etc etc

Anyways, good luck with your venture!

^^ I agree - Kinda cheesey. A nice professional looking logo, a little slogan, and your contact information should do the trick.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back