Business card layout ideas?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by butterflygirl, Jul 16, 2007.

1. butterflygirl

butterflygirl TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello everyone! I just wondered if anyone could give me an example of business cards you've handed out and people like - I'm getting ready to have some made and just wanted some ideas.

I did read a pp about how it should have graphics and contact info on front with offer on back - good idea!

I just wanted to look at some other cards for ideas in terms of layout, photo, etc.

Thanks!

2. butterflygirl

butterflygirl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Also... I'll be getting them from MPix and they offer linen or stock paper as well as optional gloss - what would you recommend? I have no idea what looks best.

Thanks again!

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is no 'should' when it comes to business cards...except that it should make it easy for the viewer to get your information from it.

Personally, I prefer something very simple. My current photography business card is plain white with my name/company name, web site, phone number & E-mail address.

I currently have some on plain card stock...but glossy card stock would be nicer.

4. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ask them if they have a sample kit. I know they have a kit for photo papers.
    If not, design your card and print one of each and decide for yourself.

I use the 'Satin' Cards from 4by6.com. They have a free Sample kit if you are interested. you can order samples from Kodak Creative Network as well. (I'm assuming Kodak would be cost effective than 4by6).

As for the layout, mine is just text, clean and simple. I do not prefer images on my card. But that's a personal preference.
    For good layout ideas, hit Barnes and Noble Graphic Design section.

5. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I chose to have a double-sided card. One side promoting Children's photography and one side to promote weddings. I know a lot of people would argue that I should advertise and promote these seperately, but I think that you never know who might know someone getting married and may pass on my info if they saw that side of card and vice versa.
    I kept the color scheme throughout so it felt like the two sides went together.
    One side is vertical because I like how vertical cards look. They seem more edgy to me. The wedding side is Horizontal, mainly because I wanted the business card to fit into the business card holder in my folders that I give to potential clients.

Oh, and I printed mine on glossy cardstock and I think they look great. For some reason, I think that glossy business cards just look more professional to me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. butterflygirl

butterflygirl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the idea of a two-sided card promoting both children and wedding photography - any other thoughts on this idea?

So far this is what I came up with for two different business cards -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the photos may be too small on this one, so I may take a few out and leave two or three. I haven't decided yet. (Also that's not my e-mail, they're working on my Web site as we speak, so I haven't got one set up yet, but I wanted something in there to "hold the space" so to speak :) )

Any comments? Suggestions?

thanks!

7. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Remember the purpose of a business card. It's meant to provide your name and contact info.... and not so much a promotional piece. If you think about it, it's really too small for that.

Pete

8. BAB

BAB TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    IMHO when it comes to business cards K.I.S.S. is best.

9. Jim Gratiot

Jim Gratiot TPF Noob!

ButterflyGirl:

First, I would put your first name (whatever that might be)... "Photos by McDonald" sounds a little cold and impersonal.

Second, and MUCH more important, is that this card is giving mixed messages. While I like the butterfly picture, somebody looking at this card will think that you're a nature photographer. But then, when they turn it over, they see kids and brides. Now they're totally confused.

BAB gives good advice here. Decide what you are trying to advertise with this card, and focus only on that. (If you do both nature & portraits/weddings, I'd suggest 2 separate cards... that you can hand out as appropriate.)

I'd also take a cue from April, and actually spell out on the card what you shoot (weddings, infants, etc.).

I'm interested to see the final result(s).

10. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Id say keep business cards simple. Id say business name on top. Under that name, under that phone number, under that email. Maybe a little line picture of a camera or something. I agree that a business card is too small for a picture, a picture that small, even if gorgeous at normal size, could look horrible small and might even turn people away from working with you.

11. Jamie McCoy Photography

Jamie McCoy Photography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Yes people like the whole GLOSSY idea for a business card...but the truth is that a Business Cards is used to let people know your business name and contact information and include an idea of what it is that you do.

Now that being said I have two cards.
    Both are printed on Avery Clean Edge Business Card paper.
    Pick it up from Staples.

12. grafiks

grafiks TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That glossy coating is called UV Coating. I recommend that. I like images on business cards if the important information (the text) does not get lost in it. At the price of cards these days, I also recommend getting them professionally printed on nice, heavy stock.