Business cards

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Village Idiot, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The minimalist in me is rearing it's ugly head. I just order 100 of these to test how well they look. I edited out my phone number on the backside. I don't really have a business name just yet, but I have clients that I shoot for so I'm in real need of something to pass out (besides my witty remarks).

[​IMG]

2. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmmm.....

3. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just a test and something with contact information.

I saw something really interesting that I would like to replicate. Some one left a card on one of the local bars. It was smaller than the normal size, but it wasn't one of those moo.com cards. It was kind of thick and had rounded edges. Something like that.

I'm going to go all out and design a nice card if these are to my liking. I have a photo or two in mind for the front and on the back it's going to list the type of photography I do.

4. *Mike*

*Mike* TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm liking the minimalist look. :eek:)

I generally don't go for photos on business cards... they're just too small with marginal print quality. A business card really isn't intended as a portfolio showcase. No one is going to pick up a random business card, go "wow, what an awesome pic, I've gotta call call this guy!" Random business cards get tossed.

But, make a decent impression with someone, leave a card, and you've got a decent shot they'll hold onto it.

5. sxr

sxr TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]
    I just made my own cards the other night.. Created them in MS Word, bought some Avery matte white business card paper and let my printer work :) I think you have a great start with yours, keep workin' on em!

6. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I tried the DIY cards and wasn't impressed by the results. I then ordered a double-sided card from 123print.com. I could have put my own photo but the template photo was pretty nice so I stuck with that. On my current cards I have my name, business name, slogun, website, email and phone number. On my new cards I will add my PO Box number - not that I expect anybody to use it but it's just there to give people more sense of security.

7. verobooth

verobooth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm so not the minimalist, so my opinion doesn't really matter. Let me know how it goes though. I'm testing with Moo cards.

8. EricBrian

EricBrian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you should consider the rule of thirds here. For me they are too centered.

9. Robin

Robin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I find photos on a business card worthwhile because it helps me remember the photographer's work. For example, when I lived in the States I'd always to go a local arts festival (Penn State Main Campus, if anyone else has been) and I would collect business cards of all the photographers (and other artists) that I really liked. I would come home with so many, I'd forget who was who... unless the artist/photographer had an image on the card, in which case I'd instantly remember the artist, all their work, their style, etc. Maybe it's just because I'm bad with names and good with imagery? But I can't be the only one...

No, a small image on a business card isn't going to make a person hire you if they haven't seen your whole portfolio. But for people who have already seen your work and are just taking the card for contact purposes, having an image there reminds them of who you are and what your work was like.

10. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Photos on a card are OK - as long as they don't make the text hard to read.

11. Jon, The Elder

Jon, The Elder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit