Business Cards

IrishDame

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you guys print your own cards? Or do you use a company? What company do you use, or what program if you make your own? I'm trying to get my first business card started and I don't know who I'm going to get to print them up. Any suggestions?

I created my business card in Photoshop Elements. (Can't wait to get a full version though!) I got my first set printed at Signal Graphics and hated them. The print quality was terrible. I'm searching around now for someone else to do them. I'll post any good results I find...

I designed mine with Adobe Illustrator and printed it from 4by6. Another popular choice around here is Overnight Prints. The links can be found here. VistaPrint should be the cheapest out of all.

I'm just a lazy & mean son of a "B" so I do my own in Photoshop and print them myself.....see sample attached.

Untitled-1.jpg

Vista Print has worked VERY well for me before. With every order I've baught I've got 250 free (free ones have their logo on the back but I dont mind because I've been very happy with their service).
My last order I got magnets made and picked a neat little picture of a guy with a camera. And the 250 free of course.
Their prices are also very reasonable!!!!

For my brothers business I made some in photoshop. I measured the cut lines on the card stock and made the same guide lines (however, somethings off a bit and I wrecked a few pieces). I would suggest making several test prints first.
Transfer the cut lines onto a regular piece of paper so you know if the cards are centered etc.

Microsoft Publisher, takes like 10 mins for a simple business card. I use a colour laser printer to do mine on the business card paper.

IMO it depends on how you want to portray your business. If you wack some out from a microsoft application then print them your self, you cannot expect to attract alot of 'high end' work.

I personally wouldnt print my own cards, no matter how i put them together... a business card is the first point of contsct for most clients, and is very important to get right...customers can tell what thier getting from the moment you give them a card...

To put it another way... if it was your wedding, you are worried about the photography.... you want to make sure they are professional enough to get the right shots.... two people give you thier cards... one is professionally printed, the other is done from a home inkjet printer.... which do you choose?

It may be that im just snobby about this because im a graphic designer..... but all i can say is, whenever iv been given a home printed card, no matter what business it is, i tend to throw it in the bin. ;)

I design them myself in Photoshop, and upload the file to overnightprints.com. Thick, glossy, color both sides, and affordable. I get lot's of positive comments about them.

IMO it depends on how you want to portray your business. If you wack some out from a microsoft application then print them your self, you cannot expect to attract alot of 'high end' work.

I personally wouldnt print my own cards, no matter how i put them together... a business card is the first point of contsct for most clients, and is very important to get right...customers can tell what thier getting from the moment you give them a card...

It may be that im just snobby about this because im a graphic designer..... but all i can say is, whenever iv been given a home printed card, no matter what business it is, i tend to throw it in the bin. ;)

I think as long as you have a professional looking logo, Publisher can pump out some respectable looking business cards. Personally I find some of the nicest looking business cards are very simple. White background, neat logo, black text. KISS. (Keep it simple stupid)

On printing method, if i didn't have a colour laser printer, I would never print them myself. I find colour laser has a similar feel to most business cards. Inkjet IMO is a no no, because if they get the slightest bit wet, the ink is going to run.
To put it another way... if it was your wedding, you are worried about the photography.... you want to make sure they are professional enough to get the right shots.... two people give you thier cards... one is professionally printed, the other is done from a home inkjet printer.... which do you choose?

Well, I'd probably pick the one with the best portfolio, and the best customer references. Just because someone can design a nice business card, and have it professionally printed, does'nt mean they are best suited for the job.

I created my business card in Photoshop Elements. (Can't wait to get a full version though!) I got my first set printed at Signal Graphics and hated them. The print quality was terrible. I'm searching around now for someone else to do them. I'll post any good results I find...

I work for a company that designs and prints business cards, thats one of my main jobs, just a suggestion, stay away from photoshop, business cards in photoshop for the most part turn out really bad, go with a vector based program, anytime you have text the raster based programs like photoshop just look bad after printing, the text gets blurred, if you have a copy of pagemaker, indesign, or illustrator use those.

Vista Print has worked VERY well for me before. With every order I've baught I've got 250 free (free ones have their logo on the back but I dont mind because I've been very happy with their service).
My last order I got magnets made and picked a neat little picture of a guy with a camera. And the 250 free of course.
Their prices are also very reasonable!!!!

For my brothers business I made some in photoshop. I measured the cut lines on the card stock and made the same guide lines (however, somethings off a bit and I wrecked a few pieces). I would suggest making several test prints first.
Transfer the cut lines onto a regular piece of paper so you know if the cards are centered etc.
I am sooooo frustrated with vista. I made a custom business card design in Illustrator. I followed every step perfectly but can not get the file uploaded.

I was in the printing business for many years and designed lots of business cards.....Rule of thumb:

KEEP IT SIMPLE AND UNCLUTERED........

Don't try to put your portfolio on a business card.

2 colors at the most with a clean and distinguishable logo.

State your field of work in your business name: Photography by John, Graphic Designs by Jane, Weddings and Receptions, etc.

If you give yourself a title, don't use "Owner", call yourself what you are: Photographer or Graphics Designer, etc..

Double check your spelling.....misspelling is a turnoff.

Be professional, not egoistical, it will pay off.

I'd be happy to help critique anyone's design.......:)

Well, I'd probably pick the one with the best portfolio, and the best customer references. Just because someone can design a nice business card, and have it professionally printed, does'nt mean they are best suited for the job.

yea sure portfolio is the most important part.... i suppose what i was trying to say was, first impressions count for alot... and can make the difference of a customer looking into your business further or not giving you the time of day.

I suppose what software you should use etc is going to differ depending on what your use to.... i dont like any microsoft applications for design... but then a graphic designer isnt likely to use microsoft applications ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back