Business Idea

Argentis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys, I'm fairly new to both the forums and photography. I have an idea for a business (which I'm not going to post the specifics of quite yet). My problem is that I don't have a diverse enough portfolio to make this fly on my own, and I was wondering how feasible it is to approach other photographers to either buy the rights to some of their images or to use a royalty-type system to reduce up-front costs.

Also, is there any recommended reading (books or websites) for the photography business?

Edit: I am NOT in any way planning to try and take credit for others' work myself. I fully intend to give full credit to the proper person.

Thanks,
Argentis

I would suggest to take more photos to build up your own portfolio.

How would showing a prospective client someone else's work encourage them to hire you, not knowing the type of work YOU can do? I'm not getting that at all!

I agree that you should probably build up your own portfolio before trying to acquire clients.

I have an idea for a business (which I'm not going to post the specifics of quite yet).

Is this something other than a regular photography business? Hmmm.... if so, I think you need to post more details if you want answers other than "take more photos" which, barring more information is my response as well.

I guess my problem is that I'm not sure how to phrase my idea without it getting ripped off by someone trolling the boards. With what I'm thinking of, it wouldn't be hard for someone to say "hey that's a good idea", and off they go. Just a little paranoid, and as far as I can tell, nobody else is doing what I have in mind yet.

Just a little paranoid, and as far as I can tell, nobody else is doing what I have in mind yet.

Not to burst your bubble, but it's likely that there are people doing what you have in mind... you just have to do it better. And if it's a really good idea, you won't mind a little competition.

For instance, I wouldn't not go into wedding photography because there are other wedding photographers out there. I'd just put my own spin on it...

Do you even have a degree in photography? Im guessing not since you dont have a portfolio.

Out of curiosity, what does this question have to do with the nature of the OP's question?

Do you even have a degree in photography? Im guessing not since you dont have a portfolio.

Does one need a degree for this business? News to me, and to a lot of my coleagues, and to my clients.
I went on the assumption one could make do with competent and reproducible photo skills, some business accumen, a good helping of originality, talent, dedication to self improvement, and a really decent amount of luck.

not only do I not have a degree in photography but my portfolio is about 10x greater than the guy who works for my company with a marketing/photography degree...

go figure....

To the OP: go out and shoot, if your business is related to photography perspective customers like to know you have experience and knowledge on what you are selling

I guess my problem is that I'm not sure how to phrase my idea without it getting ripped off by someone trolling the boards. With what I'm thinking of, it wouldn't be hard for someone to say "hey that's a good idea", and off they go. Just a little paranoid, and as far as I can tell, nobody else is doing what I have in mind yet.

Sorry bud, but if there isn't room for more than 2 other people doing the same thing then the idea won't support even 1.

Also understand that this site is world wide and too, not everyone in your town reads it. Very few people can come out with an idea that wouldn't benefit from others going over it and hashing out the strengths and weaknesses. That's why you have a business plan. ;)

There are a lot of people with degrees that have no idea what they're doing! My degree is from the school of life (where I pay tuition constantly).

Most reactions

Back