Business licenses for freelancers??

jcolman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jcolmanphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What kind of license (if any) do you have? I have a full time job but I'm starting to do some freelance work on the side. Do you guys still get a business license, etc??

I also need to pick up some liability insurance as well.

Any helpful tips will be most appreciated.

sorry cant help as in uk the laws are way different

someone will come along soon

I have a sales tax ID that you get through your main government office IE the state capital you can also register your business at your local county office. For Liability Ins I use my same carry for my house and cars, (State Farm) They cover all my Liability and all my equipment.

It depends on the type of business you set up...and of course on the local laws & rules. Check out your local city hall or state government...they should have all the info you need.

In L.A. you have to have one, but it was just a city thing (i had to get one for graphic design). "The Man" wants his cut..

Big Mike's right, you should check with your city/state.

It definately depends on what kind of freelanceing you are planning on doing and of course how much money you are really going to make.

I don't know about business license, but I use State Farm to insure my equipment. In fact, they are sending me a check now.... finally!

It definately depends on what kind of freelanceing you are planning on doing and of course how much money you are really going to make.
I'm kind of in a unique situation. I work full time as a video producer/director for a production company. My plan is to offer still photo services thru the company, then grow my freelance business from that. I plan on retiring from this company in six years so I would like to have an established client list and contacts that I can take with me. All this is with the consent of the owner of my company.

While working for my current employer, I am of course, under their business umbrella. However, I do plan on shooting some jobs on my own time and bill these jobs outside of the video production company. This is where the "business license" issue comes in. I don't really want to go full time with still photography when I retire, rather I want to make a little money doing what I love, to help supplement my retirement income. I will probably shoot a little of everything, from corporate accounts to the occasional wedding and portraits.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back