Business Opportunity - Stock Car Photography

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Destin, Sep 21, 2017.

1. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Top Poster Of Month

Before you turn it down. I would investigate. Go to the track as a spectator. Look what he is selling and who is buying. Not sure if you want to do people photography or not. But having a nice big sign up that says "Official Track Photographer" And your information. And available for xxxxx or xxxx events. Just may give you the extra work that will pay better!

If you don't make money. Keep track and write it off. But you still get the free advertising that just may kick in some good work.

2. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It’s not so much about the money at this point as it is about dedicating every Saturday. I want to spend me weekend in the mountains or on an adventure somewhere making landscape photos and exploring the world. I can’t do that if I’m committed to the track every weekend. Even if it paid extremely well I likely would still be turning it down.

3. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Top Poster Of Month

Actually my answer was not based on money either. As I have no clue what the other photographer has made. I was more about getting your name out. Not sure how busy the track is. But if fans come in week and week out and they see your on a sign like I mentioned. They will remember it. And if you also happen to list other activities that your available for. You will get business. Working Saturdays for a season or two just may provide you lots of work in the future. Landscapes, and macro, and what not are good. But people, and product jobs pays the bills in the long run. And having your name associated with the track and being known to 100 teams, and their members and famlies, and then the fans on top of that. That's a lot of exposure!

4. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

Since you know the owner, what about discussing some options other than being there every time? Especially if it's mostly the same drivers and the same crowd, I don't know if it'd be worth it to go every single time all season.

I did photos for marketing for a local team and my photos weren't needed til the end of the season (for marketing for the next season). It was low pressure and I learned a lot. I was able to do it when I would have been at the games anyway and it was up to me to do whatever whenever as far as taking pictures goes. On big game/event nights I found that was the best time to get photos of certain sections of the arena where there weren't usually a lot of people seated (sponsors like to see butts in seats near their signs). Sunday afternoon and weeknight games were hardly worth the trouble.

I had a blast, but if I hadn't loved it I don't know if it would have been worth it at a level of sport where off-ice officials etc. usually are compensated in free tickets. (Which if you love the games and get free season tickets, for people doing stats etc. is a win-win - free tickets, front row seats at the scorer's table!)

If they just need photos for a slide show at the end of the season, I would think you could get pictures of every driver/car you need just going to a few/several times. Maybe go the first time, then pick dates for the rest of the season. It seems like a fair enough exchange to provide some photos for specific use for being able to set up and sell photos to fans/spectators. I found that a few season ticket holders asked me for pictures of their favorite player and that was about it. I'd think this would be a relatively limited and specific market to sell photos and unnecessary to be there every time. But it could be fun and might lead to other opportunities if you can work something out so it's manageable.

• Agree Agree x 1