Business question, how much to charge for photo manipulation

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How much does everyone charge to touch up old pictures? Like to bring more detail back from faded pictures, fixing marks/scratches and/or resizing? :0).

Hi Gerry - it really depends on the extent of the damage to the old photo, and how quick you are at touchup in PS. Also, generally speaking, what brings most people to me is that they know I do hand tinting and they want their images colorized after they're touched up. (There have been a few times I actually tried to discourage this because they were beautiful old B&Ws, but what the hell, people want what they want.) Anyway, if the image is not too terribly worn, I charge $50 for a 5x7 and between $85-100 for an 8x10, depending on how much tinting I do. I may not color the entire image unless they specify they want it. The most I've charged has been $200 for 11x14s that were badly damaged and got full coloring. Hope this helps!

terri said:
Hi Gerry - it really depends on the extent of the damage to the old photo, and how quick you are at touchup in PS. Also, generally speaking, what brings most people to me is that they know I do hand tinting and they want their images colorized after they're touched up. (There have been a few times I actually tried to discourage this because they were beautiful old B&Ws, but what the hell, people want what they want.) Anyway, if the image is not too terribly worn, I charge $50 for a 5x7 and between $85-100 for an 8x10, depending on how much tinting I do. I may not color the entire image unless they specify they want it. The most I've charged has been $200 for 11x14s that were badly damaged and got full coloring. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. :0) This may be a dumb question but by hand tinting, do you mean you do it by hand onto the actual photo? or like a pen and pallet on the pc?

colorizing a picture is something Id like to learn but its not being offered in my photoshop class.

How did you learn? :0). I think it would be a good service to offer since people may want color pics.

Thanks for the advice.

i know at my work they charge a minimum charge of 70 dollars that includes a selection of prints but it truly does depend on the amount of work.

Gerry, it's old-fashioned hand tinting, with photo oils and pencils, and other mediums. I mus say, people go nuts for it. I dislike PS coloring, although I've seen some very well done pieces - sitting in front of the PC using the mouse that way is not my thing, though! I took classes after fumbling with it at home for months, which was very educational as far as correct processes, paper types, mediums, etc. It's a lot of fun both on inkjet prints as well as silver gelatin.

terri said:
Gerry, it's old-fashioned hand tinting, with photo oils and pencils, and other mediums. I mus say, people go nuts for it. I dislike PS coloring, although I've seen some very well done pieces - sitting in front of the PC using the mouse that way is not my thing, though! I took classes after fumbling with it at home for months, which was very educational as far as correct processes, paper types, mediums, etc. It's a lot of fun both on inkjet prints as well as silver gelatin.

Cool Terri, so the proper name for this is "hand tinting"? I think Ill look it up at the college I go to to see if they offer it. Hopefully if htey do they do during the summer. Im thinking about taking a few classes this summer thats not part of the photography certificate, stuff thats either business like marketing or just hobbies like stained glass making, pottery, and now if I can, hand tinting. :0). I assume the photo oils and pencils are expensive though since this isnt a widley used thing?

So pretty much you take the b&w picture, scan it and do something to it so its ready adn print it out with a inkjet printer and then color it?

And ps is easier to use if you have a tablet. :0) although you can get pretty good using the mouse. :0).

Thanks for the info.

So pretty much you take the b&w picture, scan it and do something to it so its ready adn print it out with a inkjet printer and then color it?

In a word: yes. :D

There's a lot of info behind that simple yes, of course, but that's what those classes are for. And any fiber-based darkroom print can be colored on, too, except for glossy since it won't take the oils. And yes, the oils are not cheap, but you can get started with the minimum of primary colors if you understand color theory and aren't afraid to mix and blend. So go for it!! It's a lot of fun. :goodvibe:

In a word: yes. :D

There's a lot of info behind that simple yes, of course, but that's what those classes are for. And any fiber-based darkroom print can be colored on, too, except for glossy since it won't take the oils. And yes, the oils are not cheap, but you can get started with the minimum of primary colors if you understand color theory and aren't afraid to mix and blend. So go for it!! It's a lot of fun. :goodvibe:[/quote]

Thanks for the info. :0) Do you buy the oils near by you or online? :0)

I'm sorry, Gerry, I didn't notice your question till now... I went to a local arts supply store. Almost any decent art supply store will have the hobby set or the beginner's set of photo oils; if you wanted to drop mega bucks for the master set you'd do better to go online for it. Go for the largest oil set you can comfortably afford and make sure you save a little $$ for the oil pencils, too - they complement each other color-wise, and the pencils are invaluable for tiny areas. Good luck!! I'm excited for you! :D

terri said:

I'm sorry, Gerry, I didn't notice your question till now... I went to a local arts supply store. Almost any decent art supply store will have the hobby set or the beginner's set of photo oils; if you wanted to drop mega bucks for the master set you'd do better to go online for it. Go for the largest oil set you can comfortably afford and make sure you save a little $$ for the oil pencils, too - they complement each other color-wise, and the pencils are invaluable for tiny areas. Good luck!! I'm excited for you! :D

Thats ok, im patient, hehe. I looked at my college course book and didnt see anything for this, im going to ask the teacher next Tuesday if he knows of such a class. It could be there but wasnt listed in the winter course book, hopefully itll be offered in the summer course book. :0)

Thanks for the info. :0)

GimpyPoop said:
Yo,
My friend works for a portrait photographer and she does all their Photoshopping for them. She only gets like $15/hr.
Me, the Flea

She gets $15/h but waht does the photographer get? Does he make anything off of her time? :0).

Just FYI, here's what I've got on my website for what I'll be charging. It's a big under most of the photo companies in the area (trying to build a client base, dontchaknow)

Level 1 (Color correction) $25 (plus cost of print)
Level 2 (Light restoration, Color correction) $35 (plus cost of print)
Level 3 (Moderate restoration, Color correction) $45 (plus cost of print)
Level 4 (Heavy restoration, Color correction) $60 (plus cost of print)

Most reactions

Back