But, but...

Egomonster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
...this time I want BOTH color and B&W pictures. I mean, I want to take normal travel photos in color, and then make B&W enlargements out of the best ones... (They need to be colorphotos because I'm going to offer them for a newspaper as well - this newspaper prefers color photos). I only have one good camera so can't use one for each film...

Sorry, this was supposed to be an answer to a post but I accidentally clicked the new topic button, sorry!

Ok, I see. I don't think any one film will do it better. Most good labs will print color as b&w, I would think. I've had it done a couple times. Check with a local lab and do a test reprint to see how they would come out!

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I need to make big enlargements, and I'd also like to play with the tones etc. because I would propably use those photos for an exhibition, so I'd prefer developing them myself.

Aha. Well printing color to b/w can be tricky, but sometimes they come out ok. I have also done it some. It just depends on the tone of the pic, I think. Some are easy and come out great even without filtering, and others I have to use filters and really work on, and I still don't like how they come out. As someone mentioned in the other thread, Kodak does make a special paper for it, but I think it's pretty spendy and IIRC you have to develop in total darkness, but I could be wrong about that. Could be worth trying tho, I dunno...

Digital Matt said:
Get them drum scanned and convert them to B&W in Photoshop, then print. It's bound to be alot easier.

I agree. With BW film you can adjust the tonal range by altering exposure and altering development. You cannot "play with tones" using color film like you can with BW film because C41 and E6 processes are standardized. Even if you were to alter development at home you'd be messing with the color. If you want the best of both worlds you have to carry two cameras. If you can only shoot color film, then BW out of Photoshop is probably your best bet.

Most reactions

Back