butterflies (7 pics!)

kevindosi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kevindosi.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just a beginner and looking for comments and criticisms.

1)
butterfly1.jpg

2)
butterfly2.jpg

3)
butterfly3.jpg

4)
butterfly4.jpg

5)
butterfly5.jpg

6)
butterfly6.jpg

7)
butterfly7.jpg

Where'd you find butterflies in Late December!

Nice pics though :)

Where'd you find butterflies in Late December!

Nice pics though :)

The Houston Museum of Natural Science has a great butterfly exhibit full of butterflies from around the world. I took my girlfriend there today, and I recommend it to anyone passing through.

you're shooting in a tough environment because of all the shade and shadows. consider a fill flash to get the photos exposed properly.

otherwise, just focus on..well..focusing on the heads of the butterflies. it's really hard to do this in low light so work on the lighting!

you have a good eye.... 1 and 5 are especially well set up.

just work on getting the lighting right and i think the rest will fall into place!

thanks for your comments. what makes 1 and 5 set up nicely? i actually liked 6 best. and you're right, lighting was hard. one shot would be incredibly bright and a few inches over were darkly shaded, which made things a little tricky for a beginner. any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

#5 shows you the whole butterfly, its shape, the leaf, nothing is cut off, and it's framed well

#1 is similar and the position of the butterfly's wings is pleasing to look at

very nice!! they can be really hard to catch sometimes lol

I like 2 the best...
aren't butterflies twitchy and hard to shoot? I had quite a hard time with a little bird (pics to follow)..
good pics overall..

Hi... nice pictures,
For picture 1 & 2 a little bit too dark and maybe you can crop a bit tight like no. 6 as my favorite :thumbup: to the focus object.
Picture 3, I think you're focusing not the target (hope I'm wrong), usually if taking insect as an object you have to focus on the head and the picture a little bit too bright.
Picture 4 & 7, I can not get the POI (Point Of Interest) of the pictures. You have to choose what kind of object you want to focusing (leaves, trees etc.) Try more closer to the object then you can get the interesting DOF (Depth Of Field). I just posted my picture as example.

Jamur.jpg

As you can see on the picture, foreground and background was blured, but focusing in the is really sharp. Thats called DOF. Just my my posted in this forum for my othe pictures http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1078124#post1078124

Most reactions

Back