Butterflies!!!

Orgnoi1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.northeastfoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know its a little early for this... in fact being a snowmobiler its WAY too early for this :lmao: ...

These are all shot with a Canon 5D, Canon 100/2.8 Macro, 580ex Flash, and Lumiquest 80/20 with white bounce and diffuser. All my shots I posted are HERE and are only resized and USM... no other processing applied!

Here are a couple shots from this weekend... tons of butterflies!

1/125, f/11, ISO400
2007_03_10-R-Wings01.jpg

1/125, f/11, ISO400
2007_03_10-R-Wings04.jpg

1/125, f/13, ISO400
2007_03_10-R-Wings07.jpg

absolutely beautiful shots, the colours are amazing. #1 instant favourite

thanks LostProphet!! I was wondering if I was ever going to see a post back...LOL

One more...

A face only a mother could love...

Same rig as above but adding a Kenko 12mm Tube for >1:1 magnification...

2007_03_11-R-Wings04.jpg

Is it just me or is the first butterfly have a broken left antenna (if that's the right word for it)? First I thought it might have been the angle at which the antenna was facing the camera, but then I looked closely again, and the end of it is not as thick as the right one.

Either way tho, photos are awesome! :hail: :)

His antenni are ok... =) it was just a slightly poor angle of approach of mine... LOL thanks for the compliments!!

Awesome shots. I wish my butterfly macros turned out half this nice.

Wow that first one is awesome! Now I really want that lens!

Beautiful shots and crystal clear!

His antenni are ok... =) it was just a slightly poor angle of approach of mine... LOL thanks for the compliments!!

No problem at all :)

Hey, just curious, I'm a beginner (maybe little bit higher than a beginner) in photography, I'm wondering how do you pick the equipment that you used in taking this photo. I mean, how did you decide to go with that 580ex flash instead of something cheaper for example (I looked at the price lol). I myself have a Canon 300D (6 megapix) and also have the same lens as you (100mm, 2.8 macro) and I was thinking of buying one of those flash rings (if that's what they're called) for macro photography. Do you think that's a better way to go, or would you recommend same set up as you. I'm a nature/macro type of person.

Well it really depends on the cash you want to spend and the degree of macro you want to achieve... I am NOT a macro shooter by nature... I shoot trains, extreme sports, and wildlife... generally in that order... my girlfriend on the other hand is HOOKED on macro... she is purchasing her second macro lens and a macro flash today in fact... I decided to go with the macro flash also...

If you are serious about macro... and nothing else... buy the macro flash... if you have a couple bucks burning a hole in your pocket buy both...

I personally had my 2x 580EXs so at this shoot I used what I had already. The one thing I think that aided real well in my shots is the use of the Lumiquest 80/20 with bounce installed and diffuser... it allowed me to direct the flash more directly over the butterfly to give it a more natural lighting effect.

I would say that after giving a lot of thought to my macro shooting and reading up on it online on a few forums, Fred Miranda, POTN, and northeastfoto.com I decided for up until now to use the 580ex and that would be what I would recommend to someone just starting out in the game... it IS half price of the MT-24EX and 1/3rd less then the MR-14EX...

Oh yeah... missed one question as I am rereading it... I went with the 580EX over less expensive flashes because I honestly believe that they work better together then mixing brands... of course I am probably not 100% correct but hey as long as I keep telling myself that all is fine...LOL

If you would like to see some stellar macro work look here for the user "Irishpub3":
http://www.northeastfoto.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=190

LOL this place doesnt take ANY patience...LOL there are around 3000 butterflies at this conservatory....LOL I shot considerably less than my girlfriend... between us we shot about 5gb in pictures for the 2 days...Thanks =)

Great. Thanks a lot for the tip. I looked up the price of the 580 and it's around $550 Canadian :confused: That's why I was surprised when you said you picked one of the "cheaper" flashes lol :lol: I'm gonna have to save up a lot :lol:

I also checked out the site you gave me the link to... Very nice photos.

Thanks again for your tips! :) Keep posting those macro shots. I love 'em!

No problem! Glad to be of help... as per the "cheaper flash" the MT-24EX just broke my bank acct at a WHOPPING $625... I would be scared to see what that is in Canadian Cash...

No problem! Glad to be of help... as per the "cheaper flash" the MT-24EX just broke my bank acct at a WHOPPING $625... I would be scared to see what that is in Canadian Cash...

Probably like 5 million :lol: lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back