butterfly park - camera safety

lkavaney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have any tips on keeping my camera and lenses safe in a butterfly park? it'll be fairly hot & humid and I vaguely remember being told special care needs to be taken as to not fog up lenses but what exactly I don't remember. Thanks for your help!! :hug::

I've been to the butterfly museum near Niagara, Canada. Yes it was humid but I didn't notice any problems. There were lots of people with cameras and no one seem to have problems. When you first exit out of the air conditioned area to the butterfly area, stuff does fog up a bit but it all cleared up within a matter of minutes.

thanks a lot for that!! lets hope the flutterby's are helpful and pose for me tomo :D

As mentioned above, your only concern is when you are taking your gear from a cool (cold) environment into a warmer and more humid area.

Condensation forms (just like on the outside of a cold drink glass). This is a potential problem eventually as the moisture can creep into your camera. Your dealing with electronics and they do not like moisture.

If you are still concerned, then put your camera gear in a Zip-lock bag and let the moisture collect on the outside of the bag instead of your expensive camera. A little patience can save you a lot of costly repairs.

I've been to a butterfly place in New Zealand and they have hand driers at the entrance that you would usually see in restrooms. i just placed my camera under that for a few minutes and iot didnt fog up ;)

This is very very true! My D70 cost me £180 ($360) to get repaired after I left the air conditioned accomodation of the ship I work on and my camera and lens fogged up and then zap! My camera was kapput as fast as that. When moving from cold areas to hot/humid areas I wait at least 10 minutes now before I even switch my camera on...

Technique that got me all the way through Europe last winter was to leave my camera in the bag. Nothing advanced but it did slow the speed at which the camera warmed up. 10 min or so was fine. I would be very careful heating your camera under a hair dryer, some cameras contain very fine rubber seals.

thanks! all's well :D had to wait 10-15 minutes for the fog to subside from the front of my lens but I think I needed to adjust to the temperature too hawt :lol: but I have just under 800 pics from the day so here's hoping one is nice LOL

So let's see em!

Most reactions

Back