Buy a D800e with high shutter count

That price is too high. I see them all the time on FM (I got mine on there in October) Granted it is only a D800, not D800E, but there is one I just saw with 2500 clicks, 3rd party grip, extra batteries and a lexar card for 1600..

Kind of like buying a used car that looks cherry but has 300,000 miles on it. It is not a question of will the shutter fail, it is a question of when will it fail. With 150,000 clicks on it I think I would have to pass.

That price is too high. I see them all the time on FM (I got mine on there in October) Granted it is only a D800, not D800E, but there is one I just saw with 2500 clicks, 3rd party grip, extra batteries and a lexar card for 1600..

Where, what is "FM"?

Where, what is "FM"?
Fred Miranda, it's another forum...

Those prices really make it tempting
but i'm hoping the d750s used/refurb prices drop in about a year.
The flip screen would be handly for astro stuff when attached to the scope.
Of course, I should just tether my laptop to my d600 .... lazy *ss I am at times. :)

Hi to all.

if I may I would like to revive this old post.

I have come across a used D800E for 550Euro. It has a shutter count of around 227.000 and a 6 months guarantee from the store. I was wondering if it is worth the risk for getting into full frame high resolution area on the cheap. What would be the price for replacing the shutter or mirror if they failed? Are parts still available for the model?

This is an old thread come but a D800E with 227 thousand clicks on it and a 6-month warranty for only 550 Euro seems like a pretty good deal to me. About 18 months ago I bought a regular D800 with 39000 39,000 clicks for $798. I think that the price in the guarantee would offset the high shutter count on the example you are looking at.

Hi Derrel, thank you very much for the reply. It was very helpful I am going to go for it!

I also agree with Derrel. I bought a used D800 (can't remember the activations but it was over 100,000) for around $500 USD but no warranty. Getting a 6 month warranty on this one you're looking at seems like a good deal.

First thing I would check is the focus.

The D800 [unsure if the 800e is affected] and D7000 are notorious for focusing issues; honestly this is probably a more prevalent issue than some of their recent mishaps that they offered to fix for free. It's about a $250 fix from Nikon to replace the flawed focusing module and lens mount. I bought two different D800s with the issue. I've borrowed another D800 from a friend and it has the issue as well.

I ended up fixing the second one because it only had 6,000 clicks on it and was basically new otherwise. But it really put a sour taste in my mouth when my D610 was nailing focus in side-by-side tests with an inferior AF module.

The AF Fine Tune will not fix the issue, as the issue is misaligned lens mount and AF module so it's that the optics are completely off and it grabs focus incorrectly. So after tuning it at a certain lens to subject distance, it just puts it off at another...

Do a google search on "D800 Focus Issue" if you don't believe me.

Since the D800e came out a few months later, it's possible this doesn't have the issue. And with a camera with such use, it's probably safe to say they didn't have the problem, or they were shooting at f/11 in the studio a lot and it didn't matter.

Looking back, I'm really mad I didn't just put that extra $300 into a D810, which I probably could have found for the difference. I personally would find great use over the highlight metering mode, as that's how I prefer to meter/shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back