Buy a used D800

Ian Mitchell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I am looking to replace my current camera body. I have not been doing photography for too long but I feel like I have already learned a lot in my short time since I started the hobby with a 365 day project and have stuck with it and loved it so far. I currently have a D5200 and am really looking to go into full frame.

I was wondering if it would be good to purchase a D800. I currently use a 50mm f1.8 Nikon lens exclusively and plan to use that for a while. I still have the 18-55mm kit lens but I really like using the prime 50mm as I feel like it gives me great sharpness and really forces me to focus on the scene in front of me and my composure much more than the zoom lens did. For this reason I have no desire to use any other lens for a while. I really want to go full frame so that besides all the other advantages I can have the 50mm function as a 50mm rather than a 75mm with the crop sensor and get the true eye view. When the time comes where I feel like I should move beyond this I will grab one of the Nikon holy trinity and stick with that for a while.

I primarily do landscape photography with a little portraiture as well as nature and architecture. I am really starting to see limits with the dx format especially with landscapes. Because of this I really want to grab a nice full frame camera and stick with this for a long time.

I can get a D800 for between $1200 and $1600 depending on the way the auction goes. They generally have a low shutter count around or below 10K. I was wondering if anyone has any input on my situation.

I wonder (and may have missed) is the 50 mm dx or fx? If you don't have any fx lenses then you won't be using the whole sensor on a fx camera.
As an aside, my personal opinion would be to always upgrade my lens first. In hind site, I wish I would have practiced what I preached. I wasted a lot of money not following my own opinions. Cameras change these days almost daily it would seem but, good glass lasts for years.
Just my two cents.
Edit, also just so you know on the d800 there is no auto mode to speak of so you really need to understand the exposure triangle. Not sure if you knew that or not. :)

AFAIK all the nikon 50 mm lenses are full frame and the D800 can be used in auto or P mode. It does help to understand exposure though so that you know when to move out of P mode and get the aperture, speed and ISO that you want or need.

AFAIK all the nikon 50 mm lenses are full frame and the D800 can be used in auto or P mode. It does help to understand exposure though so that you know when to move out of P mode and get the aperture, speed and ISO that you want or need.

That's intersting because I have a nikkor 50mm that is dx.
Edit, first time, (After further review , you may be right about it being a full frame lens. The problem I have with that is that it is not utlizing the whole sensor and the camera auto adjusts to crop mode. Hmmm) Edit second time, After further review, I'm standing by what I said. While it is compatible it still doesn't utilize the full sensor on an fx body.
As for the "P" mode it's not quite the same as an auto mode where you can select a specific scene, "night scape", "portrait", etc... There is still a certain amount of knowledge that is needed when working in "P" mode to get good results.

Last edited:

Edit, first time, (After further review , you may be right about it being a full frame lens. The problem I have with that is that it is not utlizing the whole sensor and the camera auto adjusts to crop mode. Hmmm) Edit second time, After further review, I'm standing by what I said. While it is compatible it still doesn't utilize the full sensor on an fx body.
As for the "P" mode it's not quite the same as an auto mode where you can select a specific scene, "night scape", "portrait", etc... There is still a certain amount of knowledge that is needed when working in "P" mode to get good results.
Post a pic of the lens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know how to operate in manual so I'm not worried about auto mode and such. The lens is FX so it should operate fine without any cropping on the D800. The lens is the AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g.

Last edited:
I have also been wanting to upgrade to full frame from my D3200 and am in a similar situation to yours. I decided to pick the D800 over the D610 and also have a 50mm 1.8 that I will use on it. Hopefully I can find a good deal on one! Good luck to you also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a D800 in October and it is one hell of a camera for the price it is selling used for. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks for the inout guys. I definitely think I will be grabbing one once a good deal comes through.

I was wrong about the 50mm that I own. It is in fact using the whole sensor. I tested it today. Not sure where I got it in my head that it would jump into crop mode. Apologies for the bad information.

Most reactions

Back