Buy and Sell - negative feedback from members

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell' started by Overread, Jun 24, 2012.

1. HiddenTalent

HiddenTalent TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking at Paypal, which I should have paid more attention to before I sent the money as a gift, was that this person was in fact NOT verified.

Per the Army info, birth date, and such I did some research. I found his family, and now have his mother's phone number (provided by his sister). They claim it isn't him, but I'm not sure what to think. I'm planning on contacting the Fort Bragg inspector general as well.

It sounds as if this is a case of stolen identity. That someone has taken advantage of this person. I wish I had more support from the Admins on this page to verify who he is. If I had an IP address from his posts, I could trace it back... but fat chance in hell that I'll get that assistance.

What I still find suspicious is that if this is not James Ragen, then it is someone who knows him well... between his birth date, family ties to Michigan (all over his family member's Facebook pages), and so on... I find it very hard to believe it is not him.

Reaching out to his family via Facebook:

"Hi,

I'm doing some research to find a US Army soldier by the name of James Ragen, stationed at Fort Bragg in the 82nd Airborne. The reason I am concerned is that James or someone posing as James recently approached me on an online forum to sell me a camera.

I paid this person, who's email was RagenJames9494@outlook.com and references The Racers Media on Paypal paid in the amount of $463.xx. James or posing as James never sent the camera to me and it appears I am out the money. I'm reaching out to find this person.

Before I made the purchase, I checked Facebook to find James Ragen's profile. Everything seemed to match between here and the forum so I felt comfortable making the payment, including the location, age, and birth date. After a few days, this person's Facebook profile was deactivated. In my conversation with James, he mentioned that he lived in Tennessee, but was stationed in North Carolina. He also mentioned he had family in the area of Flint, Michigan. I did a Spokeo search of his name, and narrowed by state including Tennessee. I found one result for Baxter, Tennessee. I then searched Facebook for the name Ragen, filtered for Tennesee and found your mom and sister, and noticed Michigan ties as James mentioned. I've also reached out to your mom, my message to her is likely in her "other" folder as it is yours too.

I've attached some images showing our conversation, James' information, the Paypal transaction, and the Spokeo search. I've also included a link to the negative feedback thread on the forum where this occurred. Please see the profile of James Ragen, which will show you his posts. In some he references a lens he is selling because his brother purchased him the wrong one.

Buy and Sell - negative feedback from members | Page 2 | Photography Forum

I'm hoping that your brother is James and that you might be able to help me. I'm not accusing your brother of doing this to me, because I know someone could be posing as him very diligently. If that ladder is the case, I hope that James is made aware.

Just so you are aware, I've also began conversations with the Inspector General at Fort Bragg regarding this situation. I apologize if you have no idea who James Ragen is and this is just a coincidence. I'm truly just hoping for some help.

Thank you in advance,"

I also attached all of these screenshots.

Using Spokeo I was able to make the connection to his mother (come up with the same address). In fact, he has two sisters but no brothers (according to one of his sisters). His mom has his photo plastered all over her page. His Facebook has since been deactivated, which I find funny because when he started this conversation with me it was active.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Start a conversation with ffarl | Photography Forum and ask about the IP address. Giving over details like that is really an admin level choice, although there shouldn't be much trouble if its part of an official investigation. Note also that if this is a case of identity theft chances are the person already uses a proxy IP address so it might not be too much use.

Also note that we don't want the thread to turn into a witch-hunt (just something to keep in mind for all members in general).

3. HiddenTalent

HiddenTalent TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I understand. Its important that each side is seen clearly. Even if it is one sided! I just got off the phone with Paypal and they are going to help me out. He has 10 days to respond otherwise it is being forced back... verified or not. So awesome of them to do this.

I have no intent of starting a witch hunt. I had my own! I just want to prevent any other people from being a victim like I was. Hopefully the TPF will assist in that!

Thanks all!

4. MichaelHenson

MichaelHenson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Just for my information, how long should I wait from the date of funds being sent before opening a ticket with PayPal? I posted a WTB thread last week and had someone message me about purchasing a lens they were looking to get rid of. We had multiple messages back and forth but as soon as I sent payment via PayPal all communication stopped. I've message them on TPF a couple of times and emailed the PayPal email address a couple of times to follow up with no response. This saga began Thursday of last week....

I'm all good with shipping taking longer than expected, etc. as long as there is communication....This one just has me nervous. Thoughts?

5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Check the Paypal website. I think you have a window of something like 30-40 days to make a claim. Keep all your correspondence as well so you can present it as proof.

In general Paypal is pretty good at protecting you so long as you used the payment option that comes with the charge - ergo commercial payment option. If you used the gift option then you might not have much if any protection present (because its then treated as a gift not a commercial trade and this has no legal protections).

If you want more info contact Paypal directly.

6. MichaelHenson

MichaelHenson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Gotcha. The transaction was completed the traditional way (non-gift version), so hopefully they'll stand by me if it comes to submitting a claim or whatever for a refund. Hopefully it doesn't come to that!

7. SnappingShark

SnappingShark Always learning. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Negative feedback for myself.
    Late shipping of an item (over 10 days I believe). Hoping to get item off soon - but being honest with myself and everybody is else is important to me - so I am here giving myself negative feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sm4him

sm4him TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

What Bright fails to mention in his "negative" review is that, after we agreed on a price for the item (a Black Rapid strap), he messaged back saying he'd decided to GIVE me the strap. He also fails to mention that this was all around the same time that he became a new father!!
    And yet, he DID follow through and sent me the strap, and he continued to communicate with me to let me know he hadn't forgotten it.

Oh, and did I mention he GAVE it to me? So yeah...sorry, but your request to submit negative feedback on yourself cannot be accepted. :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1