Buy and Sells gone BAAADDD...

sarahsmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is the board's opinion on posting a buy and sell gone bad?? I understand that it is between the parties involved but I think it could also help another buyer from getting taken advantage of.

I think if done fairly...if the facts are given, and only the parties involved can post in that topic thread, it might prove to help others. There could be standard form put together by a mod....just my .02....

Did something bad happen to you? I personally would buy from a member here but thats only if they were a member I got to know and not just someone posting with only 1 post.

As long as things remain civil and each party is able to speak their side of the story, if desired, I think it is entirely reasonable to post responses that are either good or bad. Assuming it was something that was listed here on the forum, I would lean towards the most appropriate place for a response to be in the thread where the item was initially offered up for sale.

My obvious concern is with how potentially easy it would be for an exchange such as this to turn nasty very quickly, but I do think it is important for people to have the option to let people know their view on how the transaction went.

Other thoughts on this?

I'm very concerned about the volatile nature of this type of response. I however do agree with Chase that it should be allowed. I am forever a pessimist as well so hopefully you guys will prove me wrong in my worries.

Ya..I don't know what the best answer is for moderating this type of thread. It could get ugly very quickly I agree, but I do belong to another forum(unrelated to photography) where there is a standard form to fill out and is posted in a separate thread. I just feel that if you are going to allow people to post items for sale ona public forum , then you should be allowed to expose bad business practices that are happening....jmo...may help someone down the road.

OldNavy...at the time I posted I was really ticked.I was new to the forum, and trusted someone who seemed to be quite active on the board. I viewed them to be trustworthy even after I expresed concern about purchasing an item over the internet. Let's just say I did not receive the entire "package" that I paid for...and after 5 or 6 friendly reminders, and "sorry...I forgot's", I finally lost my cool wth this person and informed them that I would be posting my displeasure on the board.However I don't want to cause any trouble for a long standing member of the board, and I have learned not to get myself into this type of situation again...but I also won't be back to the forum either...more or less has left a bad taste...

I'm a member of a mobile phone forum that has a fairly large trading section. There is a thread on it called the "A to Z or Trusted Traders" where all members can post their experience of trading with a member, positive or negative. It works quite well, but we do still get a few scammers from time to time. It's quite useful though in finding out if someone's traded before as at the start of the thread there was a list of each member and a feedback rating (like ebay) and a list of who they'd traded with.

It's now been moved on a bit, and combined with a couple more mobile sites' trusted traders threads and a dedicated website for those traders has been constructed, and it's very useful.

Perhaps a thread on here looked after by a mod in a similar vein to the original trusted traders thread would be very useful here - I've noted there is a lot of new members putting cameras and the like up for sale here, which would raise some trust issues but though not perfect, a thread like this would I think help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back