buyers remorse? personal opinions

sneakypete

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello friends! I am the sneakypete and

sooooo....I've had a g12 for a while now and its the camera I learned the basics on. I am going to be a dad (yay!) and decided to upgrade. I am no professional but do enjoy the hobby. I ended up choosing the LX100. I am enjoying the 4k video and grabbing pictures from the video. I am also enjoying the mid range / portrait shots / and even macro. My issue is with landscape. The resolution seems weak. Weaker than it should. So weak, its gotta be user error.

I'd happily attach an example, but don't want to break protocol here. Let me know if it's cool or if I should open a new thread in the beginners section.

I chose the LX100 because I thought I didn't want to lug around a bunch of lenses and large body and I expect to be hauling diaper bags lol. But, now I'm wondering should I jump in deep and go large? I'm already 900 bucks invested. If I had my cake and eat it too, I'd get this LX100 running buttery smooth. Just need to make the right decision before the 30 day return policy runs out.

Any LX100 owners? Any suggestions? Pretty sure I internet love you guys already.

Stick up an example mate, it's really hard to pick out what you may have been doing wrong if we can't see it. Include the exif data too if you can please.

okie dokie. I know these are under exposed, but I just wanted give you something bare bones. Shot in RAW, unedited and converted in lightroom5. Also, info is saying 10.9mm, but that I'm pretty sure this lens is 24-75. Can you help with the meaning of that?

1/640 sec at f5.6, ISO200
backyard 640 f5.6 iso200 1 of 1 Flickr - Photo Sharing

1/320 sec at f8, ISO200
backyard 320 f8 iso200 1 of 1 Flickr - Photo Sharing

1/60 sec at f11, ISO200
backyard 160 f11 iso200 1 of 1 Flickr - Photo Sharing

1/100 sec at f14, ISO200
backyard 160 f11 iso200 1 of 1 Flickr - Photo Sharing

final question, what image host do you guys prefer? A lot of them have size limits and I couldn't embed these flickr images for the life of me.

I don't think there is anything in particular I could pick out from these shots mate, not from my phone anyway. The sharpness looks ok to me.

Raw files are designed to be edited in post so it's not really a format you can compare SOOC with default processing with fully developed shots.

I do notice that the pic you edited was shot at f2.8. Most lenses are not at their sharpest wide open and usually f8-f11 is optimum for landscape shots.

I do notice you mention using lightroom and I cant help wondering if you are zooming in too much (which can make any lens look bad.

Personally I use flickr for my online photos as its easy to embed, gives you the bb code and is free. For me it does exactly what I need it to do but other people have different needs.

thank you. yeah, I was zooming in to adjust detail and it just looked crazy pixelated. maybe I was just looking at too many stock photos from giant lenses and got used to EVERYTHING in the image being crazy crisp. Good catch on that aperture, I will edit on at 8 or 11. I'm cool with flickr. My wife wanted me to set up an account as she got my mother in law one of those wifi digital picture frames that syncs to a flickr account. keep that new baby rotated!

thanks again!

No worries mate. Yeah if you zoom in so far on any digital picture you wiull see the individual pixels. I will only very rarley edit byond 1:1 and even then that's usually way beyond the resolution of the final image. I do most of my editing where I just try and fill the screen and 1:2 for the detail.

Welcome to TPF...

Most reactions

Back