Buyers remorse

Braineack said:
Just to be clear here for everyone though:

This d3400 w/35mm 1.8G combo weighs in at a whopping 1.3lbs.
The a6100 (aps-c) with the Sony 35mm 1.8 lens weighs in at a 1.1lbs.

Add in the four batteries the Sony will need to shoot for a weekend, as opposed to the single battery the Nikon will need to shoot for an entire weekend...the mirrorless setup will weigh a bit more, or the same. The battery life on modern Nikon d-slr cameras is incredible, and can be extended quite a bit by cutting down on the automatic image review/playback time, and by shooting looking through the optical viewfinder. Spend one minute precisely framing up a shot with the Nikon, and ZERO battery drain can be had; spend one minute with the EVF of a mirrrorless camera sucking juice, and, well...that's why it takes four batteries and part of a fifth to shoot a three-hour football game with a Sony mirrorless... (see the dpReview article about this).

I disagree. Mirrorless is not everybody's best choice. And a pancake lens being your only lens? Not for me, thank you.

do you realize mirrorless cameras can use any lens?
APS-C ... full frame
with a $19 adapter?

.... for me (thank you)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

yeah. and it's great to lose autofocus. It's great to have ZERO EXIF information embedded in the files, so you lose automatic lens corrections in Lightroom and many other apps...

It's great to have 50% reject rates on acvtion shots while futzing around with a non-native lens on a mirrorless camera.

If you want to shoot junk lenses, mirrorless is fantastic! It opens up a world's worth of old pawnshop lenses in the $39-$99 range. Think of all those great 1980's $39 70-210 f/4~5.6 lenses! Imagine all of the JC Penny and Rokinon 135mm f/2.8 manual focus lenses for $29. And to think nopthing of the bins full of Rokinon 28mm f/2.8 single-coated lenses from the 1990's at $30 each!

If you want to NAIL focus and exposure, and have full EXIF information, and have the lens and exposure inforation embedded in the raw files, to automatically remove CA, lens fall-off, and lens "issues"--then do the smart thing...and buy modern, autofocusing, EXIF-reporting, camera-brand-SYSTEM-specific lenses for whatever camera you buy.

IF you want to use the seven BEST legacy 35mm lens system optics on a lens-ADAPTED camera, with all of the PITA stuff that entails, buy a Canon d-slr...with a mirror...

It's hard to say how much better your camera is than say an iPhone or point and shoot especially when getting to grips with it, and then when it's inconvenient it's worse.

I think Mr TCampbell probably hit the nail on the head when suggested a suitable carrying system, there are loads to choose from, invest in the right one and that issue is sorted, the d3400 and 35mm lens is feather weight for a Dslr.

Don't be afraid to use the camera in auto mode. You bought it as a tool, use it the best way you can at the time. Sure you'll get more creative shots in manual when you become more familiar with it, there is plenty of time for that, but now it can be used as a high quality point and shoot.

The photo you take during the day may not show the potential of your camera but when light levels are less than optimal and it shows what it can do your remorse will probably go

Maggie, I haven't necessarily experienced remorse in a camera purchase, but have felt as you do in that sometimes I'm too busy trying to capture "THE SHOT" that I'm missing out on the beauty around me. I've had to learn the difference between when I want to get snapshots to remember the experience, versus when I want to spend time to create a more artistic shot. I don't have a p&s anymore (my nikon coolpix gave up the ghost a few years back), but I've done as others have suggested & occasionally use auto mode so I don't have to worry about settings & can enjoy what's going on around me. I guess my advice (limited as it is) would be to use the point & shoot (or cell phone) to capture the memories on your trip, & use your DSLR if you see something that you want to get artsy with & capture more in depth.

Also, #TCampbell mentioned the strap. I just recently got a sling strap (have used the basic strap that came with the DSLR for years), and it makes a huge difference in comfort & convenience. I also have a lens/accessory belt on the way - looking forward to using that for some upcoming photo walks my wife & I are doing. A DSLR is heavier than a p&s or phone, that can't be helped, but a sling strap might help you with ease of use.

Have fun whatever you choose, and have a great trip! :)

I don't plan on trading my camera in for mirrorless, but thanks all for the comments - you gave me lots to think about! I remembered that my original desire for a "big fancy camera" was so I could take nice family portraits and artsy pictures when I'm feeling creative. So perhaps I just need to save it for those occasions and keep the point and shoot for the spontaneous day adventures when I want to travel light and free.
The best camera is the one you have on you.

My XT2 with battery grip is rather heavy, I guess. I don't care for bags, I'd rather two gun it than carry a bag, a wide, and a telephoto.

I don't plan on trading my camera in for mirrorless, but thanks all for the comments - you gave me lots to think about! I remembered that my original desire for a "big fancy camera" was so I could take nice family portraits and artsy pictures when I'm feeling creative. So perhaps I just need to save it for those occasions and keep the point and shoot for the spontaneous day adventures when I want to travel light and free.

right, keep your current camera until you're ready (and inevitably) upgrade to a mirrorless camera
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I was wondering exactly the same thing before making my decision on what type of camera to buy. I knew that a dSLR was just too large a platform for me to want to carry all the time since it won't fit in any pocket smaller than a winter coat pocket but there sure were a lot of very good dSLR's out there. I found that there were several good "small sensor" choices available in a pocket-friendly platform as well as a couple large sensor as in the Panasonic ZS100 but I just couldn't justify me spending 650 bucks to take pics.

I would just suggest that you find a soft case that is easy to carry with you whenever you go out since no camera left on the counter will take good pics. Maybe, God forbid, a fanny-pack?

Good luck!

jeff

I have slight buyer's remorse for my Panasonic LX5 I bought 7 years ago. I wanted a vacation camera but I found that I hardly used it.

... one thing I don't understand ... the default camera settings and placing the control dial on AUTO, would turn the camera into a "point and shoot" ?

Just like any camera, yes.

Most reactions

Back