buyin a camera in NYC

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
i finally got to look at an eos 20D in a shop in the UK the other and i'm positive its the camera for me. however, some family of mine are off to NYC in a couple of weeks and want to know the best price i could get one (body only) for there. give me the price in $ then i can conver it. also, anyone know much about international warranties etc?

thanks for your help

Why would you want to buy a camera in one of the worlds most expensive cities? Just curious...

No, but it usually means that you can get them cheaper somewhere else or at least for the same price! I just wonder what the point is to buy a camera in NYC and not in Leicester, UK? If it is a question of availability, I'd understand it perfectly, but otherwise there is no reason to buy a camera on this side of the ocean and definitely not in NYC!

I have not compared US prices to UK prices but from what I have see elsewhere...the non-US prices are not just a straight up currency conversion. There is usually a considerable savings when bought in the US.

However, there is duty to pay. I'm not sure how the system works but your family would either have to pay the duty or smuggle the camera back to you.

I suppose they could toss the box and pass it off as having brought it with them but does anyone want to gamble with ignorant border guards?

Axel said:
No, but it usually means that you can get them cheaper somewhere else or at least for the same price! I just wonder what the point is to buy a camera in NYC and not in Leicester, UK? If it is a question of availability, I'd understand it perfectly, but otherwise there is no reason to buy a camera on this side of the ocean and definitely not in NYC!
My point is that B&H has cheaper prices than most retailers in the US. You wont find cheaper prices from a physical store anywhere in the US.

Everything is cheaper in America than it is over here. EVERYTHING!

Axel I don't think you realise how much things are in the U.K. we are ripped off, especially with Cars and Petrol.. I mean Gas.

i can claim tax back on the camera and won't need to pay duty as it can be classed as a gift. but also the pound is strong against the dollar. everything is cheaper in the states than the UK in general

anyone know a price?!?!

Voodoocat is correct BH has the best prices I have ever seen I have bought a lot of stuff from them. They have a huge store in NY city if i was going to NY I would definately make a trip to that store they have everything imaginable. I have bought from them online which is very easy and usually get the stuff in a matter of one to two days.

I know at one time it might still be that way US prices compared to UK prices are much lower.

Trig said:
Everything is cheaper in America than it is over here. EVERYTHING!

Axel I don't think you realise how much things are in the U.K. we are ripped off, especially with Cars and Petrol.. I mean Gas.

Absolutely agree!
I just went back to the UK a month ago and it seemed to me that if it's a buck in the States it's a quid in the UK which means it's roughly 1.8 X more expensive there.
Also completely agree with Voodoocat, I buy most of my equipment from places like B&H and others that seem to congregate in the NY area and for reference I live in SoCal which includes LA.
If you buy a camera in NY good luck on getting it past British customs.
You might make it if you take it all out of the box and tote it in an old camera bag though, also helps if you can lie with a straight face but customs can tell if they decide to check the camera numbers.
One other problem, the TV output in the USA is NTSC whereas in the UK it's PAL so the TV output of a USA camera doesn't work in the UK.

Not a problem. A lot of TV's, videos, game consoles and the like that we get in the UK can now handle NTSC. Most are made in the Far East and they use NTSC. There is usually a switch. You can get converters too but I haven't had a problem - it's only a problem if you want broacast quality and even then it's only minor

I got my 20D in the UK with lens for £900

Most reactions

Back