buyin DSLR - please help

glitchu1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi, first of let me say sorry for probably the 1,000,000th 'what camera do i get?' thread, but i have gone to a lot of places and talked to people and it just confuses me more, so i thought it try asking. I'm a first time photographer, I'm a student graphic designer at the moment and I'm interested in doing some photography and want something decent because there will probably be times when i need to use photos in designs.

So im looking to get something kind of cheep...originally i was going to go with the EOS 400D, then i heard it had a bad kit lens, but the enthusiast kit cost as much as a Nikon D80 so i thought maybe i should just get that?

now this is the part that REALLY confuses me...(btw i live in Australia so the pricing is in AUD) I'm not sure about lenses, because I'm a student i don't really want to buy more than one lens at the moment, the D80 i can get for $1,890 or so with a "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon 18-135mm AF-S[/FONT]", how does that sound? I thought that one sounded pretty good, but then i read people saying it isn't, and to get either the 18 - 200mm or the 18 - 55mm but they don't come with the camera and cost more...so does anyone have any advice to give me? id greatly appreciate it as I'm a rookie and hardly know anything about lenses.

Thanks in advance

Hi glitchu1,

You will find many helpful people here.

First of all, if you are budget limited, are you sure you want to get a DSLR right now? There are quite a few "point-and-shoot" cameras that take very good pictures, and also have almost the same flexibility as a DSLR. Would that be a viable option?

As far as the D80 and the 18-135, yes there is a lot of debate with the 18-135; however, as an owner of a D80 and an 18-135, I can tell you that I really like my 18-135. It has a good enough range (wide to telephoto) that I can use it as my only lens while traveling (which is good because it *is* my only lens). It producers sharp pictures, seems to focus relatively fast, and it's comparitively well priced (not expensive). It's two main drawbacks are a bit of distortion on the wide end (kind of like a very mild fish-eye), and noticeable "vignetting" on wide shots (mostly with shots of blue skies).

Thanks for the reply, do you think maybe i should look at getting the Nikon D40x? It says the camera doesn't have an auto focus on the actual camera unlike the D80, will that be a big problem do you think?

Most reactions

Back