Buying 1st DSLR. Nikon D5300 or D3300? Please help.

Which one D5300 or D3300?

• Total voters

purpleorbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
So I finally saved up some cash to get a dslr and I'm not sure on which one to get because I have never had a real camera. I've decided to get either a D5300 or a D3300. What one would you choose and why?
As far as the type of photography I will be doing mostly nature, astronomy and family pics but would like to get into light photography.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

D5300 has the handy screen, better focus system and is just a little better

Image quality of both will be very similar

mostly nature, astronomy and family pics but would like to get into light photography.
Once you start using that flippy screen you'll love it especially for family pics (and you're in the pic) and astronomy.

Do they each come with the same starter lens? Assuming everything is the same except the body, get the D5300. Frankly, the flippy screen was never a huge factor for me, but the sensor is reported to be an upgrade from the D3300, unless I'm mistaken. One use that I put the screen to was; to protect the LCD when packing up the camera. Just turn it around to face the body, and then there is a plain blank back that won't be dented or scratched by something else. Kewel, I say.

The D5300 would be an excellent choice.

If you are concerned about battery life, then the D3400 would be the better option.

There is a used D5300 on ebay with some extras for $475.00 Comes with..
- Memory card reader
- 16 GB SD memory card
- Two extra batteries
- A wide angle lens filter
- 5 different macro filters with case
- A UV lens filter
- A 2.2x Telephoto Lens Filter/Adapter
- Lens and Screen Cleaning Kit
- A Lens Cap Holder
- The original D5300 manual
- Additional flash

It has 11,oo0 shutter accuations.
Does this seem like a decent/fair price?
Thanks guys.

Does this seem like a decent/fair price?
While it may still have a long projected life ahead of it, you should learn how to examine a used camera in detail to satisfy yourself that it is still in fact a good unit. The price may be a bit high considering that you might be able to find one that has some kind of warranty for the same or even less.

Those "filters" that change the focal length are not actually filters so much as they are add-on lenses that change the image being projected onto the sensor. IMO these are something like putting cheap reading glasses on and expecting a good image. The one filter (UV filter) is an actual filter, but with limited utility, and probably wasn't the best quality when it was obtained in the original kit. You did not list a lens, so you will have to include in your budget the cost of a used lens.

My advice is to look around for a similar deal with which to compare that one.

Check out Adorama, B&H, and KEH, all of which have solid reputations to uphold and will grade their used and factory reconditioned cameras accurately.

Good luck!

Side note; B&H purchased my very gently used D5000 just last autumn, (my trade-in) and if you need a manual, you can have mine.

Further note: Here is an offering from B&H which is a Nikon D5100 with lens for less than your deal:

Used Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera With 18-55mm 25478 B&H Photo

Last edited:
I bought and sold a lot of used cameras. The idea is to buy them as good as new and sell them before their value drops next to nothing.

In general be aware to shop like HiFi.

Put 50% or more into the lens, the lens is what loudspeakers are to HiFi.

Try to buy the best lens you can afford.

My standard setup cutrently is a used gripped D600 one can get for 800 Euro plus one of my 2000 Euro glass pieces.

So if you spend 300 on a used body, spend at least another 300 on a good used lens.

Options are plentyful for Nikon DX.

A set of 1.8/35DX plus 1.8/50G is a great starter kit for 300. A good zoom is harder to find but there are options, also non Nikon.

Oh, I didn't realize I didn't put the lens in the post earlier but it is a
AF-S DX 18-55mm VR.

So considering it has the Af-S DX 18-55mm VR and
- Memory card reader
- 16 GB SD memory card
- Two extra batteries
- A UV lens filter
- A Lens Cap Holder
- Additional flash

Does that make it a reasonable price?
Sorry for the very similar post.

So considering it has the Af-S DX 18-55mm VR and
- Memory card reader
- 16 GB SD memory card
- Two extra batteries
- A UV lens filter
- A Lens Cap Holder
- Additional flash

Does that make it a reasonable price?
Sorry for the very similar post.

- A wide angle lens filter-Screws onto the front of a GOOD lens, and cuts its quality by 30%, pawnshop price: $10 for these, to as low as $2.00. YES...two dollars, American Money.

A 2.2x Telephoto Lens Filter/Adapter: scres in, pawnshop value, $6.99. Recently looked through a whole BOX of these wide- manfd tele-screws in "lenses"...now, brand new from China, these retail at ,$19.99 to $24.99, and wholesale to dealers at about $4.99 each..

- 5 different macro filters with case*--These little sets have been around since the 1970's...typically sets of three sell at pawnshops for $4.99 to $6.99: they pay $2 each for the kits.

- A UV lens filter: One of the highest markup items in any cameea store. A $19.99 filer we used to buy by the gross was $1.49 each from a wholesaler. High spiff for salesmen, so they "push" these hard onto unwitting customers.

The "accessories" are worth extreeeeeeemly little in actual photo utility.

--lens Cap Holder...wow...a glued-on tape button thingie, and 4 inches of string.

This was a sucker's kit, sold by a fly by night retailer, and the original sucker is trying to sell it to you, for $475....NOT a good deal.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but the above kit is the standard fly by night retail overpriced kit with useless "accessories".

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I WOULD buy from Ritz Camera as opposed to ANY private party seller. As far as low prices, Nikon refurbished cameras from Camera Camera would likely be the least expensensive.

PERSONALLY? I would buy the Nikon D3400, two-lens kit for $499, and get the NEW 70-300 AF-P lens, which is a BETTER lens than the older, more-costly 70-300 VR lens..better focusing, better optics, BETTER according to Thom Hogan.

The D3400 has the latest sensor too. Has the WiFi as well.

I have seen 3300 kits for 333 Euros.

The 18 55 VR is not a good lens that goes for 20 Dollars

The 18 70 VR or 18 105 VR are much better while still not good, just good for the money.

You should at least have ONE decent lens like the 1.8/35 DX

Most reactions

New Topics

Back