Buying a Camera

Hank1212

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I have decided that I would like a nice, digital slr. I currently have a minolta X-700, which I love, but would now like something digital. I really don't know anything about digital slr's, and I am here for advice.

I am looking for a complete package in the sub $850 range. I think that I would like a kit. So far a have looked at the D5000, and the D90 kits. I really have no idea what to look for, and would like your advice on a good camera setup. It would be a great bonus if I could use my lenses from my X-700, because I have a few of those.

Thanks! :D

The Minolta MD mount as mentioned above will not work directly with any DSLR. You can however purchase a MD-MA mount adapter. (I have an original Minolta). but, the adapter requires the use of an enlargement lens. (Differant focus distance.)

Best bet is to look into a new system all togeather.
Nikon, Canon, Sony are good starts. any one of them sells a good kit system under that amount.

Personal reccomendations: Nikon: D40 from Nikon

Canon: Canon - EOS Digital Rebel XSi 12.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with Lens - Black - Rebel XSi

Sony: Sony A330L Alpha 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Case, Extra Lens and Battery

The aboved, and others are just a perfict system to start.

dont hesitate to ask questions here. Anyone can answer any question you have in regards to photography.

sounds like if you are looking at the D5000 or D90, it will be used.

What kind of pictures are you looking to take? Without knowing that, it's hard to speculate what is a "package"

Since you only have 1 post, the keepers of "The Pact" are not likely to be of much assistance.

Thanks for the replies so far. A package to me is something that contains a camera body, and a lens (or maybe two). All the other accesories are seperate. I already have a flash for my film camera.

The D5000 has me really intrigued. It seems to have everything I could want in it, plus video. But that sony also looks cool because I can get a package with two lenses. What are the pro's and con's to all the cameras suggested above?

Thanks for all the replies. I know I have a low post count, but I am really just beginning to get serious with photography.

Some Film camera Flash' will blow your Hotshoe on the Digital cameras (Digital camera's Require less power than the Film SLR Flash'
So if your hoping to mount it to the hotshoe, Be prepared for some damage.
You better selling all your equipment (if you dont want to do film anymore) and just buy all Digital with the money you have.

Get a Nikon D60 18-55mm Kit with an SB-400 flash = £495. ($815)

The D90 has video also. Albeit, with my D90, I use it for "those moments" when you really want video and have NOTHING else handy.

I have the D90, don't think the D5000 is worth the money for it. About the only thing it has I would be interested in is the screen that flips out. But I have gotten around that.

Don't know if I could recommend the D60. It doesn't have the internal focus drive. This could leave you wanting if you were hoping to use something like the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 prime lens.

There are some Nikkor lenses that need the AF in the body. Others are in the lens, AF-S lenses.

Just something to consider. Those AF-S lenses get to be spendy real quick.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back