Buying A Camera

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Soul Rebel, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I had the money that I wish I had I would be purchasing the Olympus E500 or the Nikon D50. I dont have that kind of cash though. There is a chance that I could have a 300 dollar budget but since I am very new at this I dont know where to start looking.

If you guys had 300 bucks to spend on a digital camera what would you get? I want something that will give me pictures close to what I could take with the cameras I mentioned and something that is not going to be very, very outdated in a year.

Right now I have a 3.2 MP FujiFilm S300 that takes decent photos but I would like to take a step up.

2. bobaab

bobaab TPF Noob!

Well, I can give a recommendation for a point and shoot, if you are considering it. I recommend the Nikon line up. My dad has the Nikon 5200 (5.2 MP point and shoot) and I actually really enjoy using it. The quality is really good, it turns on FAST, small in size but fits well in my hands, and overall I really think the camera is good.

here's some sample pictures for you to look at:

Lowlight Landscapes (all shots handheld)
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/20766843/
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/20729752/
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/20729630/

Close up Example:
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/24033023/

I'm only giving this recommendation because the newer series is under $300 and I actually do think it's a very versatile camera. Good luck choosing!

3. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Im not too sure about the point and shoot. I really like the D50 style. Not sure what you would call that though.

4. bobaab

bobaab TPF Noob!

the D50 is an SLR (single lense reflex) camera. The prices of the D50 is going down right now actually, you can buy it at Amazon for $570 with an online coupon. It may be worth the investment, as you will probably get interested in manually setting your camera settings and playing around. Check this out for some good prices: www.dealsea.com

(scroll down to find the D50 deal)

The top one is an SLR style camera, but is not a true SLR camera..it's basically a point and shoot with a better lense on it. But seriously, the D50 is going down in price, so maybe you can save up a couple hundred more (tho that is almost double your budget). You have lots of options, research lots, buy the camera, and you'll be happy.

5. Fate

Fate TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D50 (a DSLR) is a great camera, and adds the flexability over more "point and shoot" styled cameras with interchangable lenses. But if your looking for a nice camera thats not a DSLR, Try taking a look at the Panasonic Lumix range. They're cameras have a great 12X zoom, which is the equvilent of buying an expensive 432mm lens and they also offer either 5.0 megapixel or 8.0 megapixel ones i think. Just give them a check out..... they're probaly the closest you get to a DSLR without actually having one!

6. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The main reason for having an SLR in the digital realm is so that you can change lenses and put some primes on. The P&S cameras are so good these days that if you are just planning on getting the kit zoom that comes with the SLR, you might as well save the money and get a P&S. I think the SLR has a mystique about it as being a better camera because that's what you see photographers using in the movies using while shouting "Work it baby! Work it!".

Just remember, more expensive equipment doesn't make you a better photographer.

7. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh I know that better equipment wont make me a better photographer. I do know however that a few of the photos that I have taken would have turned out a little better if I had better equipment. I just think the picture quality would have been a little higher.

8. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

Don't forget, also, that the DSLRs have bigger sensors. Bigger sensors = larger area to collect more data/light.

9. omeletteman

omeletteman TPF Noob!

Just a thought, I know you said you wanted a digital camera, but would you be completely opposed to film? for $300 you could get a nice SLR body with some great lenses, especially if you wanted to go into the completely old school, fully manual type realm (which is fun!). Just a suggestion.

10. cbay

cbay TPF Noob!

All i will say, as i normally do and everyone is probarly bored of hearing me say it. Just make sure you try the gear out before you purchase to ensure you like the handerling, weight, size and feature placements. Majority of photography stores will let you test the cameras out before purchasing and even then you dont have to purchase from them once you find a camera you like, enjoy or love go and find the best price if thats online so be it but aslong as you've tried it out your be fine! :D

11. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Canon PowerShot S80 has 8Mp effective for under $500 w/ a 28-100mm f2.8 lens. I think this would be a great camera for lots of people. I'm not saying people shouldn't get an SLR, but a lot more do than really need to. Lots of people seem to think that they are the only "real" cameras and what they need to strive for.

12. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Look at your best photos to date. Then think of what you would need to do to improve on them. If different equipment is the answer, the pictures will give you some hints as to what to get. If equipment is NOT the answer, you'll have gained a good insight.