buying a circular polarizer!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by thereforeiamx, Jun 19, 2008.

1. thereforeiamx

thereforeiamx TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What do I have to look for when buying a circular screw-on polarizer for me lens under $70?
    What difference does it make that some are super multi-coated or multi-coated? What role does the thinness of the glass play?

and any recommendations for brands?

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If you're looking under $70, you're going to have to look for used unless you're very lucky. Brands to consider are Hoya, Tiffen, B+W. Don't worry about phrases like "super multi-coated" or "Specially designed for digital cameras" it's all advertising hype. The thickness of the glass is only relevant if you're buying a special 'thin-mount' filter, normally for use on wide-angle lenes. These filters normally don't have female threads, so you can't attach anything in front of them.

3. thereforeiamx

thereforeiamx TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  4. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I bought an uncoated Quantaray/Ritz brand circular polarizer in 52mm size for my 18-55 lens when I was first starting for $29.99 and it's worked great, and hasn't had any flare or ghosting issues either which many claim it surely WILL have just because it's not a super duper fancy expensive multi-coated "brand name". Actually for all I know Hoya makes the thing. Quantaray rebrands other stuff.

Just avoid the garbage off of ebay and you'll be fine. Quantaray, Promaster, Hoya, Tiffen, B+W, are all good. And don't feel like you need to go with super dooper fancy multi-coated stuff if you're just getting started and don't want to spend more than you need to.

5. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    I have to admit that I've never seen a brand-name CPOL that cheap befor, however I've not looked for ones that small either. I would caution against buying cheaply, especially brands like Quantaray, which as Mav notes is simply a rebranding company; you never know what you're getting. Filters are part of the optical process, and like lenses are NOT the place to go cheap - by the best you can afford; a good filter is a lifetime purchase!

6. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    Today, I'm going to tell you guys the story of why the importer-rebranders tend to suck.

My mother bought a Technibond necklace. That thing went from "gold" to gray in about 3 months. She called HSN, does Technibond, to claim the "Lifetime Warranty". Well they give her an ADDRESS in INDIA!! No phone number, nothing. Just an address in india. She ended up sending it to them and never heard about it again.

Absolute bull****, and I tell everyone about it every chance I get.

7. optic79

optic79 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    on Amazon I am finding 77mm Hoya multi coated circular polarizers for $74.25. I am looking for a quality circular polarizer for my ultra wide angle lens, Canon 10-22. Should I be looking for a thin mount? is this a good filter? any suggestions?

8. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Dam, my camera store is hosing me on filter prices then! Yes, for a wide/ultra-wide angle you're always best to go for a thin mount to reduce vignetting. You may still suffer from some of it at maximum FoV but it will be much less than a regular filter.

9. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Most ultra-wide lenses work just fine with a regular thickness filter. You only really need the thin ones if you're going to double-stack filters.

10. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    mine does not (17-40mm on full frame). Even the thin filter i have can cause slight trouble at 17mm and small apertures.

is suggest trying it out before buying anything.

11. Ben-71

Ben-71 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, good multi-coating makes a difference, but not in every situation.
    The maximum visible difference between good multi-coating and the
    lack of it would be when a light source is within the frame, near the edge.

With a wide lens, the skies may be spoiled by having dark and light parts.

I join the recommendation to check it for vignetting, on your specific lens,
    before buying.

12. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting. I heard that lens was fine with regular filters, specifically on full-frame too. :confused: Anyways yeah, try before you buy.