buying a digital camera

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by modphoto, Apr 2, 2004.

1. modphoto

modphoto TPF Noob!

I'm going to be looking into buying a digital system soon. I have only had the pleasure of using the Nikon D100 and D1X. My question is, for portrait photography, do you think there is any real need to buy the higher digital version ( DIX)?? What exactly is the loss?

Also, would you recomend any other digital systems??? :?: :?:

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you already have lenses for one of the systems?

3. photobug

photobug TPF Noob!

I'm not real familiar with the Nikon systems, but one reason to go with the higher end bodies is to get the (usually) higher flash sync rate. This comes in real handy if you do outdoor portraits.

Re: different systems. Personally I think it boils down to 2 things- lenses and ergonomics. Any of the current crop of digital SLRs can produce stunning images.

Go with the system that has the glass for what you want to do, and that fits your hand. I bought a Pentax *istD because it just felt right in my hand, the most common settings are buttons instead of menu driven, and third party lens support is good (important because current Pentax lenses seem to be very cheaply made or very expensive). Support for older manual focus lenses is great, and it will run on AA batteries in a pinch (assuming you remember to bring them along).

Decisions, decisions... :wink:

4. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not sure if you were looking at the D70 but Jim mentioned the flash synch and the D70 has a very high flash synch. Specs say 1/500 but with non Nikon flashes it'll yield excellent results up to 1/4000! :shock: past that it starts to show some grid like patterns.

5. modphoto

modphoto TPF Noob!

Your right markc I wasn't even thinking about my lenses. I'm currently using a film Nikon system and have many lenses so as long as they are all interchangable between systems it would make sence to stick with Nikon.
    I do a lot of outdoor portraits so i will definitly look into the flash sync rate, thanks!

You mentioned the Nikon D70. I'm not familiar with that model, but I'm going to check it out.